2 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 7:14 AM by ron.sokol

SiteAdvisor 3.5 (with Web Filters for Endpoint) 'Error Retrieving SiteAdvisor Information'

ron.sokol

This is occurring for off-network hosts.  On network we use the interlock disable.  Off network, I am blocked for explicit 'prohibit' sites, but not by reputation.  So my clients can surf anything.

The whole time, the icon shows red and the balloon shows 'Error Retrieving SiteAdvisor Information'.  This is seen on multiple testers on different home networks, IE8, 9 while off VPN.

Here are the results of the 'troubleshooting' option on the balloon:

Troubleshooting SiteAdvisor Communication Errors

SiteAdvisor Enterprise Communication Error

Connectivity Tests

SiteAdvisor connectivity tests can help determine a possible resolution.

TestResult
      1) Internet Access
      2) SiteAdvisor Server Availability

Explanation of results

Site maintenance might be underway.

Your computer cannot access the Internet.

The SiteAdvisor servers are up and responding to requests, but SiteAdvisor cannot access the Internet.

The SiteAdvisor servers are up, but they are not responding to requests.

Possible Resolution

This might indicate that the SiteAdvisor proxy server policy settings are configured incorrectly.

Please contact your administrator about this issue.

While SAE may not be able to access the internet, I am able to to post this

I did a dummy check and siteadvisor.com is not in the prohibit list hehe.

So what gives?

Thanks in advance! -R

• 1. Re: SiteAdvisor 3.5 (with Web Filters for Endpoint) 'Error Retrieving SiteAdvisor Information'
          watarus

I confront with the same problem as ron.sokol.

SiteAdvisor 3.5 icon show orange and the balloon shows 'Error Retrieving SiteAdvisor Information'. When I troubleshoot  it  say "Your computer cannot access the Internet." While I can suffer everywhere on web

• 2. Re: SiteAdvisor 3.5 (with Web Filters for Endpoint) 'Error Retrieving SiteAdvisor Information'
            ron.sokol

It's been awhile since I solved this, so I apologise for not remembering precisely which item fixed it but...

For the general policy for SAE, we're using Web Gateway Interlock, we do not specify gateways, we do use Web gateway enforcement.  To do this, you have to block gateway.siteadvisor.com outbound web connections.  I'm assuming you're describing off network hosts for the same issue I had.

Another issue is that I had defined a DNS name for an Internal Landmark.  This doesn't work in SAE 3.5 RTM (patch 0).  If you use it, it causes a 20-30s delay before enforcement of the Web Filters for Endpoint (WFE - off network reputation filtering).  Once I removed the Internal Landmark, the sites enforced immediately.  This was the

(On a related note: We're taking a serious look at the McAfee Client Proxy (MCP) product as a possible alternative to SAE/WFE.  No browser plug-ins - MCP is browser agnostic, adds an antimalware layer by integrating with existing McAfee Web Gateway policy if you have that.  Can integrate with SaaS or you can stand up a MWG in the DMZ.  Single web policy and reporting.)