3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2012 2:22 AM by Attila Polinger

Forcing a laptop to complete a DAT update before shutting down

Tristan

Here's the scenario, hopefully someone might have some suggestions.

I have a couple of laptop users who insist on using their laptop for a few minutes to pick-up and send a few emails and then shutdown.

In this situation McAfee doesn't have enough time to complete it's update and therefore these computers never update themselves.

Has anyone found a way of staling the shutdown procedure until the update is complete? A bit like the way Windows Updates install first then shutdown.

• 1. Re: Forcing a laptop to complete a DAT update before shutting down
          Laszlo G

Hi Tristan, could it be helpful to show the "update in progress" message so the user is aware until the update is finished?

• 2. Re: Forcing a laptop to complete a DAT update before shutting down
            tao

I have a several nodes like that and I use the following:

1) Created a query looking for outdated dat's on nodes

2) Within the same query, if found those nodes are moved to a separate subgroup, where the agent/client polices are configure to update every 5 minutes.

3) Created another query looking, within that subgroup mentioned above, for any updated nodes and if found sort. 

Essentially, those nodes just get agent/client updates until they fall inline.

• 3. Re: Forcing a laptop to complete a DAT update before shutting down
              Attila Polinger

Hi,

Not exactly connected to using shutdown...sorry.

I see use of the login script as a viable means of allowing the user not to do anything before the update is finished. Further I advise that these laptops should have a McAfee Agent policy assigned in which there is a repository that they can access very fast (so the update does not tinker long on the update).

Or lacking a login script, you could register a script in HKLM\....\Windows\Currentverson\Run key that invokes mcupdate.exe with parameters.

All with the necessary garnish of warnings and information and keeping the user off of mail client during the update.

Attila

Message was edited by: apoling on 26/02/12 09:22:20 CET