1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 11:05 AM by exbrit

McAfee Disabling My Anti-Virus Tools

I'm fed up with McAfee so much so that I rarely use my PC now.

Every time I boot up the PC now, I get a message that my anti-virus protection is off.  I can't turn it on.  Instead I'm led to a page where McAfee wants to sell me a malware product.  I alreay have malware software on my PC because I had a big problem that McAfee didn't help me with.  Now it's solved.

How can I turn my anti-virus back on and stop getting these sales messages from McAfee???

• 1. Re: McAfee Disabling My Anti-Virus Tools
          exbrit

First if you had a problem that McAfee wouldn't deal with we could most likely have helped you here, but you should know that no antivirus, no matter what brand, is guaranteed to catch everything there is out there.   Hence the need for extra tools and procedures, some of which are outlined HERE.

It sounds like the problem, whatever it was, has corrupted McAfee. If you are sure that the problem is solved then the only solution would be to uninstall McAfee via Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (XP) or Programs > Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7), then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

If you get any more 'Sales' messages please contact Customer Service to see if there's a problem with the account, it's a free phone call, also linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.   Technical Support is also free via phone or online chat, and the link is also there.