5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 2:11 AM by lmac

EPO 4.6 on ESX 4.1

Hello All,

This is going to be my first installation of EPO so I'm hoping to get it off on the right foot.  I'm looking for recommendations for the resource setup for EPO 4.6 on ESX 4.1.

DLP and Endpoint encryption will be added on in the next few months as well in case that needs to be taken into consideration.

Hardware Requirements

CPU's - 1 or 2

Memory - 4, 6 or 8GB's of RAM

Windows 2008 R2 SP1

Let me know if more information is required.

Thanks in advance.

M

• 1. Re: EPO 4.6 on ESX 4.1
          Laszlo G

Hi mark_w, McAfee has a hardware sizing guide in case you want to have a look (see atached pdf)

But it will also depend om how many computers will be managed by ePO. For example we have a Xeon Dual-Core (3Ghz per core) with 4GB managing 3.000 computers and it works fine.

It's true that we're not using DLP nor EEPC in this ePO server but should be enough. And as it's an ESX machine you can always expand its memory if you see it's not enough

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EPO 4.6 on ESX 4.1
            jmcleish

How many clients are you going to be looking after in total?

is SQL local or remote? If local, periodically remove client events to optimise performance- esp encryption events.

I run v4.5 on W2003 with SQL 2005 supporting around 5000 clients

Mine runs with 3GB ram with 1CPU quite fine on ESX 3.5

VMWare does a good job with resourcing.

Obviously you'll need to take into account the OS and SQL clients, but start off lower and monitor performance over time and then have the resources available to bump up if you need to.

HTH

Jane

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: EPO 4.6 on ESX 4.1

Thanks for the quick response,

We have about 3500 users and the SQL database will be stored on a seperate server. 

It looks like our typical Server build of 1 CPU and 4GB of RAM will be appropriate.  The beautiful think about vmware is you can quickly bump it as needed.

thanks again, I look forward to pestering you all during this EPO server build adventure

M

• 4. Re: EPO 4.6 on ESX 4.1
                twenden

We have our ePO 4.6 server running under Vmware ESX 4.1 with no issues. It is running Windows 2003, about 2100 clients and using built-in SQL Express database. The VM is set to used 2 virtual cpus and 4GB RAM. I just checked the performance under Vcenter and it has never maxed out the CPU past 50%. In realtime the cpu usuage is around 11 to 17%. The memory consumption is about 2GB.

The overall performance of the server has improved since moving to the Vmware cluster.

• 5. Re: EPO 4.6 on ESX 4.1
                  lmac

Long time reader, first time poster!!

I am about to move my ePO 4.6.1 sql database to a dedicated VM.

I cant for the life of me find any whitepapers from McAfee informing me of what the specs of the VM should be.

I only have about 700 devices. Does anyone know the minumum specs (CPU, Memory, Disk Space etc)?

Thanks