1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 3:16 PM by Kary Tankink

Blocking Ports in HIPS

epoNovice

Hey All,

Our security team has asked us to block three individual ports within HIPS.

Is there a chance this could effect other apps that these three ports may use? eg - if an app has a range of ports in use like 21000 - 21800 will blocking one within that range cause issues or do connections just re-rout to another number?

Also when blocking  I'm unsure where to enter the address as a Local Service or Remote service (the alert is for traffic heading out so I would imagine its "remote")

Cheers

• 1. Re: Blocking Ports in HIPS
          Kary Tankink
          Is there a chance this could effect other apps that these three ports may use? eg - if an app has a range of ports in use like 21000 - 21800 will blocking one within that range cause issues or do connections just re-rout to another number?

This would depend on the OS and application.  Typically, if an application tries to use a port that you are blocking, the application is going to error out.  If you try again, it might work, if it decides to use a different port number that you are not blocking.

Also when blocking  I'm unsure where to enter the address as a Local Service or Remote service (the alert is for traffic heading out so I would imagine its "remote")

For outbound traffic, REMOTE SERVICE  would be where the traffic is going to.  For inbound traffic, REMOTE SERVICE would be where the traffic is coming from.