9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 2:10 AM by Peter M

email hacked?

Several friends have let me know they received strange email messages that appeared to come from me, although I did not send them.  I also received returns of undeliverable mail on several old email addresses in my contacts for messages I did not send.  What can or should I do?  Thanks

• 1. Re: email hacked?
          Peter M

It indicates that someone who has you in their address book has malware which is spoofing your email address as the sender.  Recently there has been a rash of spambots who do that too.   If there is no indication of sent items in your mail folders then it's highly unlikely thst you have a problem.

This happened to me a short while ago and I traced it to a possible security flaw in my Internet Service Provider's webmail servers which they have since patched.     Just in case I recommend changing all your email account passwords.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: email hacked?

There are 6 messages in my sent folder.  All within one minute of each other, and at a time that my computer was shut down.

• 3. Re: email hacked?
              Peter M

Shut down completely or shut down as in Sleep/Hibernate?

When you said "although I did not send them" I thought nothing was sent at all from your machine.   Then what operating system and service pack is this?   Right click Computer (Vista/Windows 7) or My Computer (XP) and go to Properties.  That info is there.

Download, install, update and then run a full scan using the FREE version (NOT the trial of the Pro version) of this software:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

If it refuses to do that in regular mode you can do all of that in 'Safe Mode with Networking' reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

• 4. Re: email hacked?

Shut down totally, power turned off.  I meant I did not type the message and hit send.  No one else had access to my computer or password.  My email is an aol address.  I just signed it to it at their website (when at home I normally run windows live mail) and the site forced me through steps to change my password.  Coincidence or they know something?

I am running Windows 7 home premium service pack 1.  I posted to this forum because I run Mcafee on my computer.

I will do as you sugest above to run the malwarebytes.

• 5. Re: email hacked?
                  Peter M

Ah so the sent mail was on the AOL server not in your computer?  It looks like AOL was hacked and they aren't admitting it...just as well you changed your passwords and run a 3rd party anti-malware such as Malwarebytes just in case.

• 6. Re: email hacked?

The malwarebytes scan completed successfully with no malicious items detected.  So, you think my computer is okay?

Also any suggestions for the friends who received a message they thought was from me?  The messages each included a link.  If they clicked on it, do you know what most likely happened, and what they should do?

Message was edited by: susichase on 2/12/12 7:46:46 PM CST
                    • 7. Re: email hacked?
                      Peter M

I think you're OK but time will tell.   Tell them not to worry if they never clicked on anything, but if they did to also run the scan you did with Malwarebytes Free.   There are a few tools and other hints here by the way:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

• 8. Re: email hacked?

Thank you.  I really appreciate your help.

• 9. Re: email hacked?
                          Peter M

If you want to make really sure run a Hikackthis as instructed on the bottom of that link I gave above.    Post the log on one of the forums I suggest there.