1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2012 6:31 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)

bomber1978

Hello,

I have a problem with Site Advisor not showing any cymbols in a search for both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.

However Internet Explorer is showing the BHO bar but not Toolbar (they both are enabled).

Also going into Manage add ons and double clicking each of the Site Advisor BHO and also Toolbar info says both versions are 3.3.0.0, however if I use Google Chrome and gp through Tools and Extensions it says Site Advisor is enabled and says I have version 3.31.137.7.

I have uninstalled both McAfee (completely uninstalled) and Google Chrome and still have the problem.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem is? Can somebody please give some advice?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
          Ex_Brit

Is this SiteAdvisor or SiteAdvisor Live, in other words did you download it as a standalone or is it part of a suite and if the latter which suite?   Also what version of SecurityCenter is installed if you have a suite?   (Open it and click About).

Also what version of Internet Explorer & Chrome?

• 2. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
            bomber1978

Hello,

It was purchased through a custom built laptop I ordered from Dell. I registered with the McAfee website, have done a couple of clean installs of my laptop drivers/Windows etc. so I download through my account at McAfee website, subscription runs out April 2013.

About says SecurityCenter is version 11.0, build 11.0.654 / Virus Scan v15 / Personal Firewall v12 / Site Advisor v3.3 / Anti Spam v12 / Parental Controls v13 / Quick Clean and Shredder v11.

I'm using the latest Google Chrome 17.0.963.46, and Internet Explorer 9.

Message was edited by: bomber1978 on 11/02/12 9:30:21 AM
            • 3. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
              Ex_Brit

First try running the Virtual Technician to see if it fixes anything: http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If it fails to help....go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Assuming Vista or Windows 7) and see if SiteAdvisor is listed separately, if so uninstall it and then go to your account and reinstall or go to http://www.siteadvisor.com and do the same.

If not then click McAfee SecurityCenter or suite item in that menu and hopefully it will give you a choice to uninstall everything or just SiteAdvisor....if the latter do that and reinstall it.

If not then uninstall everything, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from the online account.

If all that fails to cure the situation please open a case with Technical Support, also linked under Useful Links.  It's free via phone or online chat.

• 4. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
                bomber1978

Yes Windows 7 Pro.

OK I went to Uninstall programs, I uninstalled Site Advisor on it's own, and re-downloaded it at the link you gave, it appears to be working now, could you please confirm it's working OK on Internet Explorer 9 - please see the 2nd screenshot attached.

I have attached 2 screenshots, the first is Google Chrome - you can see a tick etc. next to each search result going down the page, however for Internet Explorer (the 2nd screenshot) there is just the McAfee bar at the top under the address bar and are no ticks next to all the individual search results going down the page, is that the way it is supposed to be for Internet Explorer?, should the ticks etc. be next to each search result as they are for Google Chrome?

2 pics attached.

Thanks

g.jpg

ie.jpg

Message was edited by: bomber1978 on 11/02/12 10:11:41 AM
                • 5. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
                  bomber1978

I'm just testing a few things....

I have disabled BHO however the green McAfee bar is still there next to the Secure Search box (under the address bar).

As I have it disabled doesn't that mean it should be showing? (however it is showing...).

• 6. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
                    Ex_Brit

I have the green marks in IE9 and I have all three McAfee items enabled in Tools/manage Add-ons as shown:

Capture.JPG

Maybe you should contact Technical Support.  As I said it's free via phone or online chat.

• 7. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
                      bomber1978

Hi,

I ran that tool and got a registery error, see screen below, but the fix it tool said it fixed it, same problem, I have also completely uninstalled again and re-installed and have the same problem.....

I don't see how it can be my computer system as I said I have a completely new clean install of all new drivers and Windows 7 - which makes me wonder could this error have something to do with the fact I have downloaded McAfee quite a number of times (as I have done quite a few clean installations trying to get driver order correct etc), a few days ago when I went to download McAfee it sais I was using too many subscriptions and asked me to delete some, so I did that, maybe it has something to do with that?reg.jpg

• 8. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
                        Ex_Brit

I doubt this has anhything to do with the account.   Always uninstall via Control Panel in the normal way and while connected to the Internet, that will always deduct the one that;s going from the account.  However any account issues are usually quickly sorted out by phoning Customer Service.

In this case I think you should contact Technical Support via phone or online chat, it's free.

• 9. Re: Site Advisor toolbar (icons not showing / version showing different)
                          bomber1978

OK thanks for your help Ex_Brit I've contacted technical support.

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next