6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 11:55 AM by tao

Agent GUID is same - Hypervisors

The cloned hypervisors have the same Agent GUID. If I delete the GUID and restart the McAfee Framework service. But, the machine when rebooted does not keep the change as it is a Xendesktop environment and it restores the previous settings.

Appreciate how this could be changed?

• 1. Re: Agent GUID is same - Hypervisors
          Tristan

I'm not a Xendesktop expert but i'm assuming that during your cloning process your also assigning new MAC addresses to the VMs

I think the framework service generates it's GUID based on the MAC address of the network card and therefore if it's the same MAC the GUID will be the same.

• 2. Re: Agent GUID is same - Hypervisors

Hi Tristan,

Thanks for your quick response. I did login just and checked the MAC address and they are different. This actually is taken care by the hypervisor itself to create it with a new MAC address. There was an article that states that if you delete the following registry key and restart the service it should work, but that holds good for regular desktops not for Xendesktops it does not work because the machine resets to the pristine image (a clean image) so it goes back to the settings.

This is the registry key they talk about, which I tried but the settings does not stay.

For current deployments
            IMPORTANT: These instructions are intended for use by ePO administrators only.

Step  1 - Verify the issue

1. Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.
            2. Compare the agent GUIDs on the affected clients. If the GUIDs are the same, then this is the cause of the problem. An agent GUID is stored as the data of the AgentGUID registry value:
              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent\AgentGUID]

NOTE:
              The agent GUID is ePO's primary method of uniquely identifying a computer. Matching AgentGUID values affect the process used when computers check in, prevent properties from being recorded correctly, and prohibit policy enforcement. For information about creating Agent GUIDs, see: KB54939 - Understanding how the Agent GUID is used by the ePolicy Orchestrator server.

Step 2 - Resolve the issue

On each affected client, delete the AgentGUID registry key and restart the McAfee Framework Service.

1. Click Start, Run, type regedit then click OK.
            2. Navigate to the following registry key:
              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent\]
            3. Right-click the AgentGUID and select Delete.
            4. Click Registry, Exit.
            5. Click Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK.
            6. Right-click McAfee Framework Service and select Restart.
            • 3. Re: Agent GUID is same - Hypervisors
              Tristan

Ok..in that case you will probably need to delete the registry key in the 'master' image before cloning (don't let it boot and generate a new one)

Clone the VM's off and deploy them.

Every time they boot they will see the registry keyis empty and generate a new GUID.

If i'm right in thinking that the GUID is based on the MAC (someone else possibly confirm) hopefully they will generate the same GUID every reboot.

The machine will then be able to register in ePO as individual machines.

Message was edited by: Tristan on 10/02/12 17:10:27 GMT
              • 4. Re: Agent GUID is same - Hypervisors
                tao

Also consider....if the master image isn't the issue then make sure that you're not reverting back to a previous snapped image every time you reboot.

• 5. Re: Agent GUID is same - Hypervisors

Tristan and Tao,

The master image is fine and the McAfee OAS is enabled. But, it is only the cloned ones. I would not be in a state to reclone them as we just fixed several issues. I am kind of skeptical to go ahead and clone them again. Because, I hope you all understand that with Xendesktops everytime the machine reboots it clears all  the changes and rolls it back to the pristine image. So, me deleting the registry settings did not work, which I then realized that when it reboots it puts back the same settings.

There should be some other way and I know McAfee is working with Citrix but would like to see some solutions for this which would be great.

• 6. Re: Agent GUID is same - Hypervisors
                    tao

Then perhaps a script (logon or a run once) would be a short term fix.