3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 8:26 AM by SafeBoot

Can I do full image backup and restore with Endpoint Encryption?

-My company is pushing out Endpoint Encryption on all laptops.

-I currently use Norton Ghost 15 to do automated base and incremental backups of full disk image of my system disk (which contains my data as well - only one hard drive in my laptop) from within Windows 7.

-This allows me to do a full disk image restore of my HD by booting from a recovery CD.

-My IT Help Desk guy tells me that full disk image restore will not work with Endpoint Encryption and I'll have to just do file backups from now on... leaving me exposed to having to spend days rebuilding my laptop from base image if I ever crash my system.

-I am not happy with that answer and hoping that somebody has a better one.

Message was edited by: SafeBoot - removed font formatting.  on 2/10/12 8:12:37 AM EST
        • 1. Re: Can I do full image backup and restore with Endpoint Encryption?

No, he's right - if your IT team won't support Ghost and FDE, you're better off not using it, and restoring an old image will cause policy and password sync issues with EEM, and might make your machine irrecoverable.

What you really need is a system image from BEFORE encryption was activated, then file incrementals from that point on - that would get you up and runing pretty quickly.

I hope you're encrypting your backups as well?

• 2. Re: Can I do full image backup and restore with Endpoint Encryption?

Thanks for your suggestion...

So I was going to take your suggestion, and I have my system image from BEFORE encryption done.

I went ahead and installed EPE and that resulted in blue screen pointing to symsnap.sys. 

Blue screen after blue screen until I uninstalled EPE and then blue screens stop.

Its seems that symsnap.sys points to Norton Ghost.

Is there a know issue with running EPE with Northon Ghost?

I was going to use Ghost for file backups post-EPE installation, but it appears that might not work.

• 3. Re: Can I do full image backup and restore with Endpoint Encryption?

Nothing I've heard of, sorry. If you're installing a disk filter though, there's bound to be problems - it's very uncommon to have two device drivers filtering the disk. You're better off using a file backup program.