2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 2:32 AM by Laszlo G

Server Performance

kevin_27

Hi ,

I Have been given the task of Installing McAfee Anti-Virus on all our servers. Im new to Mcafee but im already falling in love with it becase  it is easy to manage and fun to learn. Now coming back to the thread- i have always heard about Anti-Virus impacting the performance of the Server. Given a enormous task-im concerned about it. In what cases there will be performance impact and how to overcome it if at we face it. i guess one way is to configure exclusion list.

( we are using VSE 8.8 and McAfee Agent 4.6)

• 1. Re: Server Performance
          norbertg

My expierence:

1. On our desktops we had to exclude a remote login tool (Remote-Anything) as it was getting removed.

2. We are using Symantec Backup Exec, our backup's took forever until we excluded paths and change scan settings as per McAfee\Symantec recommendation <- You can Google the list

3. Sending mail via script from servers was blocked (allow mass mailing or programs to get around this)

4. We have a few VSE 8.8p1 eventvwr errors on our servers which we didn't have with 8.7.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, performance seems fine.

Your best bet is obviously pick a test server or a server which has the most minimum impact on the buisness and see how it goes.

Message was edited by: norbertg on 2/10/12 10:27:11 AM CST
          • 2. Re: Server Performance
            Laszlo G

Hi kevin_27, there was a big performance improvement between VirusScan 8.7 and VirusScan 8.8 (specially due to persistent file caché) that can be interesting for you to know:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/data-sheets/ds-whats-new-virusscan-enterprise .pdf

I have to say that it really improved machine's performance on 99% of them