9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 3:25 AM by jmaxwell

8.0i update issue

Hi everyone,

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my autoupdates have not been working. Nothing has changed with my mcafee configuration or our firewall. This is the output I get when I manually click autoupdate:

Starting update session.
      Checking update packages from repository NAIHttp.
      Initializing update...
      Verifying catalog.z.
      Extracting catalog.z
      Loading update configuration from: Catalog.xml
      Update Finished

The result is that the dat file wasn't downloaded/updated, and I have to pull it down manually. Has something changed at mcafee? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
        • 1. RE: 8.0i update issue
          Laszlo G
          You have to update agent versio of these computers to at least 3.6 and then they will update again
          • 2. RE: 8.0i update issue
            Ulyses31,

Thanks so much! Do you know where I can find the agent version available for download, and is that the actual name? I'm guessing this was a recent change?

Thanks again!

You have to update agent versio of these computers to at least 3.6 and then they will update again
            • 3. RE: 8.0i update issue
              jmaxwell

Why ? :confused::confused::confused:

...why have the updates stopped if they were working fine ? - agent versions may not be "supported" but why should that make the autoupdate process simply stop ?

Jim
              • 4. RE: 8.0i update issue
                Laszlo G
                From KB60060:

At the time of the DAT 5444 update, McAfee also posted a new Anti-spam Engine component for GroupShield 7 SP1 to the CommonUpdater site.

When the update task runs, the Common Management Agent retrieves a list of all available packages for download from the catalog.z file.

In the case of CMA 3.5.0 and 3.5.5, the total number of characters that form the list of available packages in catalog.z now exceeds the number that can be processed. The result is that the update task exits immediately and no components are updated

• 5. RE: 8.0i update issue
                  jmaxwell

Thanks - I managed to find that article and the associated Customer Announcement notification - but that states that the CMA versions listed failed in November 2008....

...also I've seen no sign of this issue (thankfully) on a large client installation to date.

Hence the question.

Jim
                  • 6. RE: 8.0i update issue
                    Laszlo G
                    In fact that usually happens with stand alone installations where agents have never been upgraded and old versions stopped working on february 2nd even if you see in this KB they are talking about last november
                    • 7. RE: 8.0i update issue
                      jmaxwell
                      Sorry - still don't understand :(

....the Announcement said (I think?) that CMA 3.5.0 and 3.5.5 clinet AV systems would fail to upgrade after DAT 5444 - but we're now well past that and they are still working ?

I'm not denying that we now need to upgrade just wondering why it hasn't already failed.

Jim
                      • 8. RE: 8.0i update issue
                        Laszlo G
                        If your VSE 8.0i are still running it must be either because you have CMA 3.6 installed on these machines or a CMA 3.5.5 HotFix 2.

That's easy to see, just go to c:\program files\Network Associates\Common Framework and check version for frminst.exe.

FOR noochi01: you can download CMA 3.6 from McAfee's site at https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/my_products/login.asp?region=us&segment=en terprise
                        using your grant number
                        • 9. RE: 8.0i update issue
                          jmaxwell

We're running CMA 3.5.5.580 - which is Patch 2 - which I thought was different from Hotfix 2 ?

Jim

EDIT: - corrected version number info.

Also - can anyone confirm and/or point me at some McAfee info. supporting the suggestion that 3.5.5.HF2/PATCH2 will continue to update the clients or when it is likely to cease to work ?