3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 11:12 AM by lhaynes

ScriptScan causes high memory usage in Internet Explorer 7

VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i Patch 16 Engine 5300

For some time we have been experiencing high memory usage with Internet Explorer 7, with each browser instance using ~170MB. I have just discovered that this is due to the ScriptScan component of the On-Access Scanner. With this feature disabled IE7 memory usage drops to ~20MB. As many of our nodes only have 512MB this high memory usage is causing very poor performance. Is there a solution to this issue other than disabling ScriptScan?

I suspect the answer may be to upgrade to 8.5 or 8.7, but with ~3000 nodes this will take significant planning and testing.
        • 1. RE: ScriptScan causes high memory usage in Internet Explorer 7
          VSE 8.0.0 is not supported in conjuction with IE7.

reg, Henno.
          • 2. RE: ScriptScan causes high memory usage in Internet Explorer 7
            Really? The KnowledgeBase on IE7 support seems to say it is...

Corporate KnowledgeBase ID: KB54848

Testing of all McAfee Enterprise products with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) has been carried out successfully and all products are fully supported with the following exceptions:

ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Management Console 3.5.0
            ProtectionPilot (PrP) Management Console
            McAfee AutoUpdate Architect (MAA)
            McAfee Quarantine Manager (MQM)
            LinuxShield
            GroupShield for Exchange, SpamKiller for Exchange
            Foundstone
            McAfee Risk Analyzer (Preventsys)
            Hercules Remediation Manager
            • 3. RE: ScriptScan causes high memory usage in Internet Explorer 7
              I have now received a response from Gold support on this issue. After first extolling the virtues of VirusScan they said:

"So to your environment, the benefits of running ScriptScan are out weighed by the negative impact on end-user performance so it is reasonable to disable the VirusScan Enterprise ScriptScan feature."

I must say that I am rather alarmed at how the memory usage of McAfee has risen dramatically over the last year. The McShield process now uses ~100MB, the McScript_InUse process uses ~120MB during the update task, whilst the ScriptScan component was adding ~140MB to each process utilising Windows Script Host.

As a result of this, we will certainly be re-evaluating our anti-virus provision this year.