5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 5:30 PM by RaviShankar

Firewall is not switching on at all

Dear Community,

My name is Gabriel and i was wondering if you could help me with the following issue:

I was installing McAfee SAAS on a Sony Vaio Z-Series running Win7 Ultimate x64 based OS, with Windows firewall off.

The Virus and Browser Protection is working fine, but my personal firewall is not switching on at all.

Pressing the "FIX Button" is not solving the issue, nothing happens, trying switching it on in the "Product Details" is also not working. In the "Product details" my firewall engine version is 0, but in "Programs and Features" my McAfee firewall version is 5.2.3.104.

I also reinstalled the whole McAfee software package after removing all McAfee software with the MCPR removal tool, but still the same thing, firewall stays off.

Restarting all McAfee services did not help, the firewall service is not even listet.

I have also checked the laptop for infections with the latest Anti-Malware tool and tried Kaspersky's TDSSLKiller for rootkit infections, but no infections found.

If i am removing the McAfee firewall from Programs and Features to make a manual update and let McAfee installing the firewall again, i get a script error every time I try to make an update.

McAfee Script Error.png

Is this a known issue on x64 based Windows7? Because we are running MCAfee SaaS on various 32bit machines without any issues.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Kindest regards,

Gabriel

• 1. Re: Firewall is not switching on at all

Hi Gabriel,

I completely understand the issue that you are facing with the McAfee Firewall. Please follow the below mentioned steps to fix this issue.

1. Please uninstall the McAfee traces using the following uninstallation tool.

http://vs.mcafeeasap.com/MC/enu/vs40/bin/mvsuninst.exe

For more information you can also refer the below article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=kb58779

2. Also remove if you have installed any other third party antivirus programs.

3. After uninstalling the McAfee traces, please reinstall the McAfee SaaS using the Silent Installation Method.

Silent Installation Method :

1. Open the webpage www.mcafeesaas.com and login with your security center.
          2. Click on utilities on the top
          3. Under the installation tab, select the second option silent installation to download.
          4. Save the vssetup.exe file to your c: drive.
          5. Now click start --> type Run --> type cmd and hit enter to open command prompt.

Type cd\ (enter)

6. Copy this command and paste

C:\VSSETUP.EXE /CK= ***Enter your Company Key*** /P=VFB   

Where P is the parameter and V is the virus scan, F the firewall and B the browser protection. If you want to exclude installation of any software you need to omit that parameter from the above command.

Just wait for 5 minutes McAfee will be automatically get installed in your computer. Please let me know if you have any other queries and I will be assisting you further.

Please let us know if you have any issues after following the above mentioned steps. So that we can help you further with this.

Regards
          Geetha P

Message was edited by: gita on 1/24/12 5:10:36 PM CST
          • 2. Re: Firewall is not switching on at all

Dear Gita,

Thank you very much for your quick reply and support!

I was following your detailed instructions and finally the Firewall switched on and seems to work so far and is communicating with the Security Centre.

But unfortunately there is still something not working properly:

After accomplishing the silent installation and changing the "policy" and "group" settings for this laptop in the Security Centre i made a manual update, which successfully updated the DAT file and the other applications. But now, i am constantly getting script errors from McAfee. Updating is not working anymore it is stopping with the following script errors:

McAfee Script Error.png

script error 766.png

I would be great if you could help me also with this issue, because if i leave it like that i will not get the DAT files updated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Kindest regards,

Gabriel 

• 3. Re: Firewall is not switching on at all
              RaviShankar

Hi Gabriel,

Note: If you are not confident in performing the below steps with the registry please call our technical support to fix this issue.

McAfee Gold Technical support : 1-800-937-2237

Please follow the steps mentioned below to resolve the Script Error issue :

1)      Click on Start Menu - Select Run and type "regedit" & Enter

2)      Registry window will open. Click on export to take backup before you make any changes in the registry

3)      Select the option file and export to the desktop

Please browse to the location mentioned below and change the value to the value mentioned below :

Vb Script :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

Value should be : C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ scriptsnxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.dll (where x represents the time stamp. You should be able to get the value of x from the filename of Scriptsn dll  under the SystemCore folder ).

NOTE: You may need to modify the permissions to update the above mentioned key.

Jvscript :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32

Value should be : C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ scriptsnxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.dll (where x represents the time stamp. You should be able to get the value of x from the filename of Scriptsn dll  under the SystemCore folder ).

Create a new stamp from the following location :

c:\programs Files\Common Files\McAfee\Systemcore\scriptff.dll

Once this is done , please restart the system and try a manual update.

Please let me know if you are getting any error message regarding the updation.

Regards,

Ravi Shankar. R

• 4. Re: Firewall is not switching on at all

Hi Ravi,

thank you for your response!

Could you please answer the following questions please?

1. What do you mean with  "Create a new stamp from the following location"?

2. I dont have the dll file scriptff.dll in the mentnioned folder, it is located in the Program Files (x86)\common files\mcafee\systemcore\ folder. Does this mean i have to use this path to update the registry keys?

3. When updating the keys, do i have to put a (dot) between the dll name and time stamp?

Thank you for your support in advance!

Kindest regards,

Gabriel

• 5. Re: Firewall is not switching on at all
                  RaviShankar

Hi Gabriel,

This is a workaround related to registry, I would recommend you to contact our technical support to fix this issue.

If still you need to do your own, please follow the given instructions.

Time stamp is nothing but the values of the dll files. For example (ScriptSn.20110916153603.dll). Creating time stamp is replacing the existing values of the registries.

To copy values :

1. Go to location C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\scriptsnxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.dll
                      2. Press F3 on the registry values.
                      3. You will be able to edit those registries now.
                      4. Copy the values and paste it in a notepad.
                      5. Go to start → select Run → Type “regedit” and hit enter.
                      6. Registry window will open. Click on export to take backup before you make any changes in the registry
                      7. Select the option file and export to the desktop
                      8. Please browse to the location mentioned below and change the value to the value mentioned below :

VbScript :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

1. Press F3 to edit the registry value.
                      2. Copy and replace the value which you have it on the notepad.
                      3. Go to the following location on registry.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32

1. Press F3 to edit the registry value.
                      2. Copy and replace the value which you have it on the notepad.
                      3. Once this is done , please restart the system and try a manual update.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Ravi Shankar. R

Message was edited by: RaviShankar on 1/26/12 5:30:39 PM CST