1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 7:10 AM by SafeBoot

My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it and my second hard drive in my laptop docking station .  I reimaged my os on my primary HDD and innstalled the enpoint encryption but when I connect the old drives it says incorrect key in the status.  Any ideas on how to get my data off of the old drives.

Message was edited by: ajacobs to shorten title on 1/23/12 10:31:09 AM CST
        • 1. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

Hi Rajesh,

I just shortened your title so that people can reply. Apparenty we have a 255 character limit and it was preventing the "Re" from being prepended to replies.

• 2. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...
            jmcleish

Can you tell me what version you are using please.

Thanks

Jane

• 3. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

Each time you activate EEPC, it creates new keys, so you can't mix-and-match drives between machines, or activations.

The best thing to do is contact your IT team, only they can decrypt this second drive using your old key (as long as they still have a copy of it). Depending on what version of EEPC you are using, the key may have been overwritten when you activated your PC a second time.

• 4. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

thank you for your reply, i tried to get in touch with my IT team and they say , they dont keep copy of the same and decrypting is not supported. I had something similar problem with my older laptop where in i tried bertPe safeboot wintech tool to get back my data. but in this case that version is not working and i also have my doubts as here too hdd's are involved.

my currect state is similar to the below mentioned. Is there a way to get hands on safeboot wintech 5.2.8

QUESTION :

How do I encrypt a PC with multiple internal and / or multibay hard drives?

ANSWER :

Do not install PC Encryption on a PC with a multibay drive (also known as a SATA upgrade bay, eSATA drive, or multiBay II drive), on a PC with an externally attached eSATA drive, or with more than one physical internal drive.

Reason:

• When you install PC Encryption, it automatically encrypts all internal PC hard drives, including multibay drives (it will also encrypt multibay drives if added to the PC after PC Encryption is installed).

• This behavior will also happen against externally attached eSATA drives, because these drives appear to the Windows operating system as internal drives.

• The encryption key used to encrypt all drives in a PC is linked to the primary internal hard drive. If the PC is reimaged, the key is deleted. Without the key, data on the other additional internal drives or multi bay drive becomes inaccessible.
                • 5. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

Having WinTech won't help you - you need the key that only your IT department has.

If they won't give you the key, then you can't decrypt the data. The key is not deleted by the product when the machine is re-imaged, the IT team has to run a script, or use a custom script to do that. By default the key is preserved.

It will also be preserved in any backups they have of the EEPC administration system.

BUT, they may simply not want you to recover the data.

• 6. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

As rightly said by you they are saying it is not possible. I have my loging credentials is there any other way out as similar to wintech safeboot (BertPe). where in i can try on the seconday HDD though my primary HDD is reimaged. Pls help as i am badly stuck 

• 7. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

Having all the tools does not help you - you need a copy of the unique key used to encrypt your laptop. There are two places that can be found, on your original boot disk, and in your company's key management server. Without that, the data cannot be recovered.

So, if your company is unwilling to give you their copy of you key, the data on (their) machine cannot be accessed I'm afraid.

This is after all security software, so if the legitimate owner of the data does not want it recovered, there's no back doors or way to bypass that.

• 8. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

Our IT accpeted to provide me the key from thier server, but now the issue turned out to be that after reimage my system installed fresh end point encryption and the key shared by them is for the newly installed one. and they dont have a backup of that. and they are ready to provide support if there is any other way to retrive older key from the server. Hence can you kinldy advice if there is any way to get the older key so that i can get back to our IT with that.

• 9. Re: My OS hard drive failed and has endpoint encryption on it...

You've not told us what product version you're using yet - so I can only assume v5 from your earlier posts.

If so, then the key should still be in your IT departments system unless they (or a script) wiped it. Keys by default are preserved forevever in this version.

If it has been wiped, your IT team should have a backup they can refer to.

1 2 Previous Next