4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 8:56 AM by keiooz

System Check Virus - McAfee Total Protection No Protection At All

My home PC has been hit with the System Check virus, rendering the computer unusable.   I have been purchasing the Total Protection package for several years and I am somewhat disappointed that McAfee's package did not detect this threat.  As a matter of fact, I used your threat search feature on your website and it did not show up.

The virus has been around for several months based on my web search.

The question is why did the Total Protection package which is updated automatically as well as manually detect this?

• 1. Re: System Check Virus - McAfee Total Protection No Protection At All
          Dinz

Hi Mike,

McAfee's Virus Research team is constantly updating its library of 'known' viruses and spyware.  At the core of McAfee software is something called 'heuristic' protection...which looks for suspect behavior by any program or file.  Even so, the constantly-changing nature of viruses and their different variants makes 100% security impossibility, with any anti-virus software.

Moreover, Infections can sometimes occur silently, by visiting a website containing malicious code.  Other times, a user can allow an infection by installing a program or plug-in, hiding malware within its code.  These programs are often disguised as free search utilities, screensavers or are even labeled as 'critical software updates'.  Even a protected PC can be made vulnerable under these circumstances.

That is why we have a dedicated VIRUS REMOVAL team, staffed with highly specialized technical experts, who can access your system remotely, and clean things up while you watch. This premium Support option is FEE BASED, but we can ensure you that if no infections are found the money is refunded. Please click on Useful links at the top of this page and click on Virus Removal Service .

Regards,

• 2. Re: System Check Virus - McAfee Total Protection No Protection At All

It is quite strange that by this time the question has not been answered. My personal opinion is that McAfee is a great anti-virus solution. And I believe it can remove this virus (System Check) quite well. Did you update McAfee? Maybe this is why the virus actually penetrated into the PC (failure to update anti-virus)?

Whatever the case might be, you may try removing this virus with other free anti-virus tools like Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, for example. Here is how you can actually download and run them from PC infected with System Check fake HDD - http://www.deletevirus.net/system-check-virus-removal-tool/

Tell McAfee about your problem. They should help you restore missing files after System Check virus attack. Actually I've found some free tools that can help you do it - http://trojan-removal-guide.com/files-missing-after-virus-how-to-restore/

I think this information might help you. Do not quit using McAfee. Make sure to update this program regularly and I think everything will be fine.

• 3. Re: System Check Virus - McAfee Total Protection No Protection At All
              techrumy
              It is quite strange that by this time the question has not been answered.

Well, it actually has been answered. Dinz is absolutely right.

manassas_mike, malware authors use multiple offline antivirus scanning interfaces to make sure their malicious programs would remain undetected. Signature-based scanning techniques are not effective anymore. Thankfully, McAfee use multiple layered protection strategies to block as as many zero day threats as possible. As for the System Check malware, I can assure you that you won't find any antivirus software program that detects such rogue applications all the time. Besides, rogue programs are not as dangerous as banking trojans, spyware and viruses. It's just annnoying application. It would be a lot worse if McAfee missed spyware or viruses. To remove System Check and similar scareware, use Malwarebytes or any other anti-malware software. Also, visit bleepingcomputer.com and other helpful site to find detailed removal instructions. Or you can just ask McAfee malware removal team for help.

Some of the Google search results for System Check:

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2011/12/remove-system-check-uninstall-guide.ht ml

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Good luck!

Message was edited by: techrumy on 1/24/12 4:07:14 PM CST

Message was edited by: techrumy on 1/24/12 4:08:09 PM CST
              • 4. Re: System Check Virus - McAfee Total Protection No Protection At All

Viruses can be detected depending on what the company already encountered. For new encountered viruses, try to give some time for the company to make an update, for sure it will be added to their list and be able to detect it next time.