5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 11:19 AM by Regis

My First Experience/Impression of EGW 7.0

bperez

Recently i have been installed EGW 7.0 in my VM Lab, i have experience with EWS 5.6 and EGW 6.7.2 Appliances, with that new version i feel the same interface, functionality and no change from EWS i dont see any interesting change with the merge. I miss the logging audit in real time via SSH for SMTP conversations from EGW 7.0 (tail log Summary), also one powerful reporting and logging to show the full conversations for troubleshooting (without loss of performance)

The Dashboard Graphs are very slow in EGW 7.0, and is very dificult to search and trace the detection of any email.

Regards.

Bernardo.

• 1. Re: My First Experience/Impression of EGW 7.0

Hello Bernardo,

You can now view the entire SMTP conversation from within the UI. Go to EMAIL>EMAIL CONFIGURATION>CONNECTION SETTINGS(SMTP)>SMTP CONVERSATION LOGGING. Check the box to ENABLE SMTP CONVERSATION LOGGING. You will then be able to view the conversation from REPORTS>MESSAGE SEARCH. Select a message and click VIEW CONVERSATION LOG on the right side of the tool bar.

JSonger

• 2. Re: My First Experience/Impression of EGW 7.0
            bperez

Thanks J

and via SSH exist the commands like EGW 6.x?

• 3. Re: My First Experience/Impression of EGW 7.0
              seebvey

Attention!

SMTP Conversation Log is not available in Cluster Mode.

• 4. Re: My First Experience/Impression of EGW 7.0
                Regis

seebvey wrote:

Attention!

SMTP Conversation Log is not available in Cluster Mode.

Learned this one recently.    Dear MEG product manager:   this is important.   Any place that cares enough to run email servers clustered also wants as much detail as possible to debug problems on their own.   Especially on an appliance where you need to get your legal team involved if you want a real root shell.

Edit:  I have since put in a formal product enhancement request on this and personally spoken to the product manager about how important this is.  

Message was edited by: Regis on 11/15/12 11:20:24 AM CST
                • 5. Re: My First Experience/Impression of EGW 7.0
                  Regis

bperez wrote:

Thanks J

and via SSH exist the commands like EGW 6.x?

An ssh console is available to the device, however in MEG 7 (like in ironmail iirc), it's not a real root shell.   You can get to the root shell with support's help and blessing in a live session (no more of that secret backend ssh key garbage of ironmail 6), however if you want to be trusted with the root password to the devices you own... you need to sign an NDA with McAfee.    Which... is really a kick in the groin.   

However, a fair deal of logging is actually available to us untrustworthy non-NDA heathens, though it is  hidden pretty well in the interface....

Troubleshooting > reports > save log files mail log > filter

This gives you access to /var/log/mail  with search capability as well as following.

Message was edited by: Regis (typos) on 11/15/12 11:19:01 AM CST