Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1325 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2012 9:24 AM by exavier RSS
exavier Newcomer 32 posts since
Dec 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2012 11:08 AM

Quarantined messages get released

Hello,

I'm facing this problem:

I configured a rule on Envelope Analysis to Quarantine a message for X days and after this period, the message gets released.

Is there any configuration on queues or quarantines that i must do for this not to happen?

Thanks,

• painese Newcomer 1 posts since
    Sep 9, 2010
    1. Jan 19, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to exavier)
    Re: Quarantined messages get released

i ran into the same issue. if you don't want it released from quarantine you must enter "0" (zero). Below is the from the Help file that helped me.

A number (from 1 to 15) must also be entered to specify the number of days the message will remain in quarantine before it is returned to normal mail flow. A value of zero (0) means “Do not deliver.” Any message quarantined with a value of 0 will be deleted according to the Cleanup Schedule for quarantine data. For more information about the Cleanup Schedule.

• Apprentice 94 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    3. Jan 19, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to exavier)

You still need to set to rule to quarantine with an action value of 0.  How long it stays in quarntine before being deleted is set in the clean up schedule.  Go to Administration --> Cleanup Schedule.  Select File Type of Quarantine Data.  By default all quarantines follow the same cleanup schedule.  If you need to change the cleanup interval for just one quarantine, you can do so by selecting the Quarantine Type, then change the Cleanup Interval.  Always leave the Frequency Schedule at 24 hours.

If you need some specific messages to be kept for a defferent ammout of time than other messages, you should make a quarantine specifically for those messages.  Cleanup schedules can only be set per-quarantine, not per-message.

• ijahnke McAfee Employee 121 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    4. Jan 19, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to exavier)

Frequency Schedule = how often the ironmail checks the age of messages

Cleanup Interval = The amount of time messages can stay stored on the box before they are deleted

For a quarantine rule,  the action value is the number of days until the message is released.  If you select 0 then it will be checked in the Frequency Schedule  and if the recieved date is older than the time specified in the Cleanup Interval it will be deleted. If you set the frequency schedule to 168 hours (1 week) then a message that gets quarantined will exist for  at  LEAST 168 hours (1 week) before it is removed on the next cycle.

Just to clarify on this statement:

"This would help me partially, because the clean up task won't look at the date of the message, it will run on a specific scheduled time. So, if a the task storing up a week of quarantine messages, and the task ran a week ago, it means today it will run again and the messages i received today will be lost, then."

If you set up your frequency schedule to only run once a week, then every week it will check each message to determine if it is at least a week old. If it is not at least a week old then it will not be removed otherwise it will be deleted. Another example is a message that is 6 days old will not be removed on the next weekly cleanup. On the second consecutive cleanup the message will then be removed and it will have been 13 days since the message arrived.

• ijahnke McAfee Employee 121 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    6. Jan 24, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to exavier)

correct

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points