0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 7:42 AM by twenden

End-of-Life for products using v1 .DAT files (Names.dat, Scan.dat, Clean.dat)

twenden
      FYI,

It appears that McAfee is going to stop releasing DATs for VirusScan 8.0 & previous starting after Dec 31st 2009. This is a pain, since we have older systems that can't be updated to VirusScan 8.5i or higher. Most of these older systems are running special software or running older processors like P3 & P4's. It appears that they want people to have to upgrade their hardware to match the requirements for 8.5i. I guess we are going to have to tell users to go to free AVG.

End-of-Life for products using v1 .DAT files (Names.dat, Scan.dat, Clean.dat)

Corporate KnowledgeBase ID: KB60404
      Published: January 20, 2009

Environment Microsoft Windows (All supported versions. See KB51109)
      Summary

On 31 December 2009 McAfee will discontinue releasing signature files for the v1 DAT files (Scan.dat, Names.dat, and Clean.dat). Consequently, some products can no longer updated beyond that date. In those cases it will be necessary to upgrade to a newer version of the relevant McAfee application as well as meet the applicable system requirements for that version of the application.

Solution
      Upgrade to a newer version of the McAfee product. For example, if you are using VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i or earlier, you need to upgrade to version 8.5i or later.

NOTE: There is no option for extending support beyond the End-of-Life date.

Related Information
      McAfee products End-of-Life Statement page: http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/support/customer_service/end_life.html.