3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 5:23 AM by kthomas

HP Probook 6460b & EEPC 6.0.1 Software

Has anybody had issues encrypting the HP Probook? I know it is an older version of EEPC. Before I check in the latest EEPC, thought I would ask.

I did encrypt a Probook last night, powered on with a lovely black screen. Thanks

• 1. Re: HP Probook 6460b & EEPC 6.0.1 Software
          kthomas

Hello Maca

The issue might be related to what is documented in the following article.

KB72826 Systems that are missing support for unaligned memory access in the BIOS

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB72826

Only the following ProBook models are included at the moment.

• HP ProBook 4230s
          • HP ProBook 4530s
          • HP ProBook 6360b
          • HP ProBook 6460p
          • HP ProBook 6560b

The article includes the following note:

HP models usually show a black screen with one of these errors and you cannot access the Windows desktop.

Kevin Thomas

Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)

KnowledgeBase: http://mysupport.mcafee.com

Message was edited by: kthomas, For got to add the current list of HP Models on 18/01/12 02:43:35 CST
          • 2. Re: HP Probook 6460b & EEPC 6.0.1 Software

Hi KThomas

Many thanks for your useful reply. The actual Probook model 6460b (this is a new one)

Tried the encryption process again, and disabled Hibernation on the HP Probook.

Again the pre-boot failed. Error message

Fatal Error: (0xEE000005) failed to deserialise type.

I have launched McAfee EETech ready to decrypt the Probook. I am just waiting to determine that error message.

Thanks again.

Macca

• 3. Re: HP Probook 6460b & EEPC 6.0.1 Software
              kthomas

Hi Macca

I am not a technical EE product expert, but I do handle all the Endpoint Encryption articles and follow the postings on the forums. I do know that it is important to observe the output from the SMBIOS tool (OnTimeSMBIOS_MemV2.zip) attached to KB72826.

A BIOS update may resolve this as it has for some HP models. if it does not, then the output from the  tool will be required by technical support to have that case escalated to engineering to allow it to be included in a future release. The tool will show if the unaligned memory is the root cause of your problem.

The table containing all the models is constantly being updated as new models are identified to have this issue.

What BIOS version does this model have?

Kevin Thomas

Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)

KnowledgeBase: http://mysupport.mcafee.com