9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 2:48 PM by Dinz

Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan

No matter what I try, the program will not accept the default automatic scan.

Please help.

• 1. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan
          exbrit

rdak,  Can you clarify what McAfee product this is and version number please?  Also what is your operating system and service pack?

Is your system clock accurate?   Are you signed in as a regular user or one with Administrative authority?

What errors are you getting when you try to schedule a scan?

• 2. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan

Thank you for the quick response!!

I have AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee.

I go to the default selection in the "schedule scanning" screen and when I hit the button for "turn on", nothing happens.

If I go and make further clarifications, like making a weekly day and time to do the scheduled scan, the apply button lights up and I select that.

Nothing happens however.  Scanning remains "off" on the main screen even though I have done the above selections.

• 3. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan

Oh, I forgot to say I have Vista Home Premium version with SP2.

I should also say that I have a new hard drive where I cloned it from the Easeus program.  It has the 4K sector cloning, not the 512K cloning.  So, I can't run Windows Updates any longer either.

• 4. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan
                exbrit

It looks like perhaps your Windows clone didn't do the job 100% which would be the subject for a Windows help forum perhaps.   If Windows wont update then there is a major problem and if it were mine I would start all over again from a blank disk with a format and complete reinstall of the system.  Do you possess a Vista SP2 system disk?   If so you could effect a repair installation perhaps?   Tutorial here:  http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html?ltr=R

You could try asking advice in forums I use, they are pretty knowledgeable.  http://www.vistax64.com/

Don't let the 64 put you off, any Vista system is discussed there or there is http://neosmart.net/forums/ - they are also good.

4k sectors is the correct allocation for an NTFS drive and I doubt that had much to do with it but the cloning process may have been faulty.

One thing that you should NOT do and that is run registry cleaners and optimizers, they do not help no matter what you read.   All they do is clear out the rubbish and quite a large chunk of vital struff as well.  If you used one recently does it have a reverse function to restore or undo any actions?

As far as McAfee goes you could try running the Virtual Technician although with 3rd party provided software it often wont work, try it anyway:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/  and if that doesn't work try contacting Technical Support which is free by phone or online chat linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/01/12 9:19:39 EST AM
                • 5. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan
                  exbrit

Another thought on why updates don't work....if you have Internet Explorer 8 installed try updating to 9 to see if that helps.

• 6. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan

Looks like I'll have to go to tech support.

The V. Technician didn't work and I am sorry to say I have a Dell and no Vista disks.

Thanks for your help though.

• 7. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan
                      exbrit

Let's hope they can troubleshoot it.  Good luck ;-)

Let us know how it goes if your wouldn't mind.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/01/12 11:42:05 EST AM
                      • 8. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan
                        exbrit

There is one other thing you could try, uninstall McAfee, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under useful Links at the top of the page, reboot and reinstall from youir online account.

It wont help with Windows Update but it might with McAfee.

• 9. Re: Can't Schedule an Automatic Scan
                          Dinz

Hello rdak,

Sorry for your frustration with regards to the issue , Ok, Before we contact tech support , can you please try the below mentioned steps and let u s know the results ;

1. Logon to the regular windows account using the normal username and password
                          2. Click on the Start button
                          3. Type, cmd
                          4. Right-click cmd, select 'Run as administrator' from the shortcut menu
                          5. In the black 'DOS box', type the following at the command line: Net user administrator /active:yes
                          6. Check the message: The command completed successfully
                          7. Switch User, or logoff
                          8. Logon as Administrator, open McAfee schedule scan it should be enabled.
                          9. Switch User, or logoff
                          10. Log in back to the regular windows account and now the McAfee schedule scan should be enabled.
                          11. Then again right-click cmd, select 'Run as administrator' from the shortcut menu
                          12. In the black 'DOS box', type the following at the command line: Net user administrator /active:no
                          13. 13.   Restart the computer and login to your normal user profile and check the status.

Thanks,