6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 8:46 AM by spareine

/EXT command line option for scan32.exe

Hello,

I'm using McAfee Virusscan Enterprise 8.8.

According to the apendix of the product documentation, it is possible to start the scan32.exe from the command line including parameters.

see https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22941/en_US/vse_880_product_guide_en-us.pdf

page 91, section "Using the command line with VirusScan Enterprise"

I tried it and it works nicely for what I want to use it.

However, I want to specify my own extension list of file types to scan.

According to page 92 of the manual, you can use the command parameter /EXT

The documentation is somewhat vague though on this parameter:

"Replaces the extensions on the list of selected file types that are included in scanning with

the file extensions that you add, as parameters following this argument."

it works for one specified extension

Example:  scan32.exe d:\ /EXT:dll

Scans my D-drive for files with dll-extension.

However, I want to specify more, which seems possible when you read the description of the parameter.

however, how do you specify this? 

scan32.exe d:\ /EXT:dll;exe
      scan32.exe d:\ /EXT:dll ;exe

scan32.exe d:\ /EXT:dll ,exe

scan32.exe d:\ /EXT:dll, exe

scan32.exe d:\ /EXT:dll; exe

scan32.exe d:\ /EXT:dll /EXT:exe

all do not work. Only dll is scanned

An example in the documentation would have been nice :-)

• 1. Re: /EXT command line option for scan32.exe
          Tristan

I suspect it's a bug.

I tried:-  scan32.exe d:\test /EXT:zip,txt /logsettings  

Which dumps the settings scan32 parses into the OnDemandScanLog.txt as well and that clearly displays the extensions I specified.

13/01/2012 11:25:43 Scan Settings xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx User extensions   : zip,txt

If I look at the extensions listed in the GUI after opening it up from the command line it only displays ZIP

If I modify the extensions via the GUI and run the scan I get the following in the log

13/01/2012 12:31:01 Scan Settings xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx User extensions   : TXT XML ZIP

It would appear that scan32 is hardcoded to parse only the first 3 characters passed after /EXT: and ignore the rest.

Message was edited by: Tristan on 13/01/12 12:37:08 GMT
          • 2. Re: /EXT command line option for scan32.exe

Thank you for your post. Yes, that's what I have seen too, it only takes the first 3 characters and drops the rest.

I'm amazed by the cluttering of McAfee apps.

I have the McAfee Enterprise virusscanner installed on my system and I want to trigger scans through batch files. What to use? scan32.exe, scan.exe? cssscan.exe? It's so unclear.

• 3. Re: /EXT command line option for scan32.exe
              Tristan

None really.

It's is Virus Scan Enterprise, the clue is in the name. Really you should be managing it via ePO where you can correctly specify the extensions within an 'On Demand Scan' task.

• 4. Re: /EXT command line option for scan32.exe

I have client PC's in a production area where local antivirus is not possible. I have a server that needs to trigger timed virusscans on the shared system drives of the client PC's to report (not clean) the state of the file system (clean, infected,...)  I want to trigger the virusscan through my own application as I have a lot more options to do the reporting then.

McAfee has lots of command line tools apparently, but not one is working as the documentation describes. Amazing product.

thanks for you help though, much appreciated!

Message was edited by: spareine on 1/13/12 7:42:28 AM CST
                • 5. Re: /EXT command line option for scan32.exe
                  Tristan

Ok....In that case try creating a new Scan task in the GUI and customize it with all your extensions etc..

This should create a TASK in the registry under :-

HKLM\Software\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks

This will create new key with a  value something like {E5C402E5-A7E1-44DD-976B-1DEB542E6B99} i think this value will be unique to your task so copy the value in your registry

You can then run that from the scan32 command line with the /TASK parameter

e.g. C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\scan32.exe /task  {E5C402E5-A7E1-44DD-976B-1DEB542E6B99}

or trigger it remotely from a server with psexec from sysinternals.

Message was edited by: Tristan on 13/01/12 14:37:35 GMT

Message was edited by: Tristan on 13/01/12 14:38:09 GMT
                  • 6. Re: /EXT command line option for scan32.exe

I appreciate your efforts, but I really don't want to use the tasks or GUI.

I want to map the network drive, start mcafee scan with command line options and unmap the network drive if the scan is done, all through scripting.

Message was edited by: spareine on 1/13/12 8:46:26 AM CST