5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 8:58 AM by pierce

McAfee Agent 4.6P1 - Run task now 'tasks' failing?

pierce

Hi All,

I am testing Agent 4.6 P1 on a few machines and I have noticed today that when sending 'run client task now' tasks its failing.

Anyone else seen this? the agent is checking in and sending data + pulling policies ok. Its just the waking up from the server thats appears not to be working..

Also how would you go about troubleshooting this? The log's show the error message 'Run Client Task message expired' after around 3 minutes.

Message was edited by: pierce on 10/01/12 07:02:17 CST
        • 1. Re: McAfee Agent 4.6P1 - Run task now 'tasks' failing?
          twenden

Looks like I am seeing the same issue when doing a "Wake-Up Call" via a "run client task now". In my instance, I am showing the XP boxes as the ones failing the task. Both the server (Windows 2003), Windows 7 and Windows Vista test boxes complete the "run client task now" option. Both of my XP test boxes are running VSE 8.8i with Patch 1.   Hopefully someone can answer how to deal with this.

• 2. Re: McAfee Agent 4.6P1 - Run task now 'tasks' failing?
            pierce

I have a machine that was just built 'Win7' and put on the network with just the new agent and the tasks are failing to that as well, so I dont think this is anything to do with VSE or HIPS (for a change....)

ePO Agent Key Updater was only checked into 'current' so i checked that into 'eval' just to cover myself and didnt make a bit of difference.

If there are no updates here then ill raise a case with McAfee support.

Message was edited by: pierce on 10/01/12 07:38:54 CST
            • 3. Re: McAfee Agent 4.6P1 - Run task now 'tasks' failing?
              twenden

Those two XP systems we had failing also would not respond to regular agent wake-up calls. Turn on firewall logging and can see TCP drops to port 8081 on each client. TCPView is showing frameworkservice.exe as listening on port 8081 and it is added as an exception to the firewall. The wake-up calls worked when disabling the XP firewall.  Have decided to unistall VSE 8.8 & epo agent 4.6.0.2292 from these clients. Will reinstall epo agent 4.5 along with VSE 8.7. The verify the wake-up calls. If this works, then I shall upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 1, then verify wake-up calls before upgrading to epo 4.6 P1.

• 4. Re: McAfee Agent 4.6P1 - Run task now 'tasks' failing?
                twenden

Below are the results of my testing on XP system   1. VSE 8.7 Patch 4, EPO Agent 4.5.0.1810 - agent wake-up call works  2. Upgraded this system to use VSE 8.8 Patch 2, EPO Agent 4.5.0.1810 - agent wake-up call works  3. Upgraded EPO Agent 4.5.0.1810 to 4.6.0.2292 with VSE 8.8 P1 - agent wake-up call fails - firewall logs show TCP drop to port 8081    It appears that after upgrading to ePO agent 4.6 P1 that the agent wake-up calls quit working. Now must make time to call McAfee Tech support.

Message was edited by: twenden on 1/10/12 8:57:53 AM CST
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: McAfee Agent 4.6P1 - Run task now 'tasks' failing?
                  pierce

My Issue is fixed, Onge of my agent handlers had an incorrect published IP listed and the machines that were pointing to this could not communicate properly.

Fixed the IP and everything is working again, its worth checking your log at: C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Logs

And look at your machines to see what they say. mine seemed to point to this KB https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB58747