2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 10:32 AM by safebootninja

EEPC 6.1.3 Autoboot until a user successfully logs into Windows?

safebootninja

I am testing EEPC 6.1.3 functionality from a Safeboot 5.1.8 migration. With version 5.1.8, we use Autodomain with the RemoveAutoBoot=True and PermAutoBootMode=false option. This is so that we do not have EEPC pre-boot until a domain users logs into Windows and synchronizes EEPC.

We need to have the same functionality when migrated to EEPC 6.1 Patch 3. The way I look at it this is not needed because EEPC 6.1.3 pre-boot will not activate until a user logs into Windows and an ASCI is performed. I need clarification though. Will EEPC 6.1.3 pre-boot activation occur right at winlogon.exe without successful authentication? I mean, will the ASCI and EEPC activation happen at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen without logging in successfully?

• 1. Re: EEPC 6.1.3 Autoboot until a user successfully logs into Windows?

yes it will activate - you can use the "automatically add domain users" and autoboot mode to get the machine to self-configure, then a few days later turn autoboot off.

then eepc6 should know all the users in advance. I think Dan did a blog entry about this some weeks ago.

• 2. Re: EEPC 6.1.3 Autoboot until a user successfully logs into Windows?
            safebootninja

Unfotunately with our large environment, we cannot go back a few days later and turn off autoboot. This would require some management overhead and we have minimal resources. Maybe can enable autoboot during pre-boot activation and the hardware technician will disable before handing the system off to the normal user. I foresee an install ePO group with autoboot enabled where the system will start. The technician makes sure the user logs into Windows and is provisioned to the system. Once complete, the technician can simply move the system into an ePO group with autoboot disabled and do a wakeup agent call.

We can also leave autoboot turned off and let the "automatically add domain users" option provision any cached users. If there are no cached domain users on the system, we can do a machine recovery so the user will be able to logon and be provisioned automatically.

There are some alternatives I guess. We will have to tailor to our enterprise.