2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 5:07 AM by exbrit Branched to a new discussion.

Windows Antivirus Detection does not detect Mcafee Antivirus Plus

First symptom, I started getting warnings from MS Outlook that a program is trying to access email addresses in Outlook. This first happened quite a while ago so I do not recall what changed just before this symptom started.

Research in MS Office revealed that (given my Outlook Trust Center settings) This message is displayed when a program attempts programmatic access to Outlook datastores and Outlook detectes that no antivirus program is present. In fact, Outlook>File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings>Programmatic Access reveals a message that this system has Windows Antivirus Detection (WAD) and that no antivirus program was found. I am running Macafee Antivirus Plus, which states that my system is secure, there are no uninstalled updates, and my subscription has another 18 months to run.

In order to research why WAD does not detect Macafee Antivirus Plus, I loaded Macafee Virtual Technician (MVT), which eventually stated that there was one incorrect registry entry and that a .dat file was out of date. I directed MVT to fix the problem(s) which it did. Outlook's Programmatic Access message changed to Antivirus Status: Valid. The annoying warning message stopped.

The next day, the annoying message was back again and Outlook's Programmatic Access message was back to saying that WAD is available but does not detect a valid antivirus program. I ran MVT which stated "no problems found" however Outlook's Programmatic Access message is changed back to Antivirus Status: Valid and the annoying warning has stopped. Later that afternoon, I rebooted Windows after which the annoying message reappeared. Programmatic Access message was back to WAD available but no Antivirus. Ran MVT, no problem found but now Programmatic Access message says "valid"

At this point, any reboot sets the antivirus status to invalid and any run of MVT finds no problem but corrects the symptom.

I would really like to correct this problem in a way that would survive a reboot. I am not certain but I believe that the problem does not require a reboot to occur, just closing and reopening outlook.

***Update***

My copies of Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Office have both lost their profiles. Neither remembers the options I use with them, and Office claims to be unregistered and in need of registration. The olny significant change I have made since they were working was installation and execution of Mcafee Virtual Technician, I am wondering whether MVT has damaged my registry

I am running:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with service pack 1

Microsoft Office Professional 2010 14.0.6112.5000 32 bit

McAfee Security Center 11.0.623

Mcafee VirusScan 15.0.294 with DAT version 6582

McAfee Personal Firewall 12.0.345

McAfee quickclean and shredder 11.0.393

• 1. Re: Windows Antivirus Detection does not detect Mcafee Antivirus Plus

*update two*

My problems with firefox were in fact caused by a flaw in MVT as described below. At this point I suspect that the MSOffice issue is unrelated.

I do all of my daily work under a limited user ID. MVT requests and receives permission to run as my system admin user ID. During its processing it opens a copy of Firefox. The Firefox window is also running as sysadmin within a serssion of the limited user. When MVT exits it leaves the sysadmin's firefox window open with a message to feel free to close it. I used this window without realizing that it was running as sysadmin, so it was unable to find my limited userid's profile.

This is reasonable design if MVT was coded, tested, and intended to be primarily used by sysadmin user IDs. But if it is to be invoked within limited user sessions, this is a flaw.

Note, my problem with WAD's failure to detect Mcafee continues to be unresolved; MVT resolves it but only for a single session, and without acknowledging that any problem was found.

• 2. Re: Windows Antivirus Detection does not detect Mcafee Antivirus Plus
            exbrit

Dwight I think your best served by contacting Technical Support staff directly.  It's a free phone call or you can use the online chat, see the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.   If they can't immediately furnish a suitable answer you can ask for it to be escalated.

All I know is that there is often quite a delay between boot and Windows Security Center detecting any installed 3rd party software.