6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 9:13 AM by Valkyrja

ePO 4.6: Transferred Systems Reappearing

Good afternoon,

I currently have two ePO servers (4.6 on each) setup and they are each in a separate domain. Currently the agents and VSE are the only products deployed so I do not have to worry about users or other products. The Agent being deployed is 4.6 as well.

I have both servers talking to one another and on the old one that currently takes care of most of the agents I have it set up to allow systems to be transferred. However, the newer server does not allow this. I do allow the sharing of tasks.

Ultimatly the goal is to transfer all of the existing agents on the old to the new. I did move a couple of systems and it worked as expected and without a hitch. Recently I set another 50 to be transferred. Again, worked without a hitch. As each agent reported in the entry would disappear from the old ePO server and show up on the new. I then tested to make sure that I could send tasks and view the logs and everything worked. However, this AM 5 machines have reappeard on the old server. For the last communication time they show the date and time that they were transferred and that does not change. However, they will not accept tasks from the old server. It appears they are electronic ghosts of what was there before. Additionally they appeared in the Lost and Found rather than the container that they were placed into prior to the transfer. I can still communicate with and push tasks to these machines from the new server. They did not disappear and are working.

I need to be able to keep track of which systems are moved and which are not and the easiest way would be to see what is left on the old server in each container day to day until the project is complete.

Any ideas on why these already transferred machines are now reappearing on the old server?

Method used for transfer: select the machines in a container (manually sorted) and then use Actions->Agent->Transfer Systems.

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

Val

• 1. Re: ePO 4.6: Transferred Systems Reappearing
          alexander_h

Hi there,

I'm not sure what exactlly could cause your issue but let's start with some simple checks:

1.I assume that during the configuration everyth is performed by the book?

2. could you check whether the agents can communicate withe new EPO server.

3. on the new EPo server check that you have the latest extensions for the migrated agents(machines)

4. Try to use mixed authentication with the DB of the old epo server and just put SQL user instead of AD user.

5. You should try to redeploy the agents and to assign them the necessary policies, because mmaybe this will be the less time consuming method.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ePO 4.6: Transferred Systems Reappearing

Thanks for the reply. Here are some answers:

1.I assume that during the configuration everyth is performed by the book?

Yes.

2. could you check whether the agents can communicate withe new EPO server.

Yes they can and they communicate with only that server. When their objects re-appear on ePO it lists their last communication date and time to the old server. Strange.

3. on the new EPo server check that you have the latest extensions for the migrated agents(machines)

Everything appears to be the same.

4. Try to use mixed authentication with the DB of the old epo server and just put SQL user instead of AD user.

Using SQL SA account due to no trust between the domains (not my decision and well beyond my control).

5. You should try to redeploy the agents and to assign them the necessary policies, because mmaybe this will be the less time consuming method.

Unfortunately that is not an option for many reasons. I wish it were not so because then this change over would have been even easier than it is now.

Val

• 3. Re: ePO 4.6: Transferred Systems Reappearing
              alexander_h

Hm..

1. Could you try to ping these machines in the both directions.
              2.Are you using Agent handlers?
              3 PLease check the ports listed in the article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66797

• 4. Re: ePO 4.6: Transferred Systems Reappearing

The problem is not communication at all. Just that it is almost like an artifact listing of the object re-appears in the Lost and Found on the old server after the machine has been transferred. I went through the settings today and could not find anything that would impact the viewing of objects.

However, I had the transfer systems enabled on both servers. I turned it off of the old one as I will not have any need to transfer a machine back to a server that will soon be turned off. So far the systems I have transferred since that change have not reappeared on the old server again.

Thanks again for the ideas/feedback.

Val

• 5. Re: ePO 4.6: Transferred Systems Reappearing
                  alexander_h

hmm

This is good to know, thank you for sharing that information

• 6. Re: ePO 4.6: Transferred Systems Reappearing

This morning I checked my ePO servers and the systems I set to transfer went through without a problem and did not reappear on the old server. Not sure why this makes a difference but I really do not have the time to dig too deep since I have to take the old server offline soon.

Thanks again for the help Alexander!

Val