5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 11:57 AM by exbrit

Help uninstalling current McAfee, installing new subscription

Running Windows Vista 32bit

Malwarebytes

Super Antispyware

Adobe Flash 11 Active X

Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6

Windows Defender

I was prompted a few days ago to resubscribe to McAfee and have been having terrible time-consuming problems getting the old uninstalled, and the new installed (why can't uninstall be part of the new install, or resubscribe process?)

Anyway, after reading multiple threads, blogs, etc, following hour upon hour of 'how to' directions, my forehead is sore from slamming it on my desktop in frustration. 

The latest data is from the McCleanup attempt (failed), txt file attached.

Thanks much!  Hopefully I can use what I've paid for.

• 1. Re: Help uninstalling current McAfee, installing new subscription
          exbrit

Is this Vista SP2 I hope?   Also did you freshly download MCPR?  (It is updated frequently).   Have you tried saving it to your desktop & running it in Safe Mode?  (That succeeds often when a regular mode run has failed).

I'm assuming that this is the home/consumer product that you are trying to get rid of and not Enterprise?

The software installer does have an uninstaller built in but doesn't always use it depending on what is being installed.

Also to install McAfee it is wise to uninstall Malwarebytes temporarily otherwise it will fail.    I also hope that Malwarebytes (& Superantispyware) is the free version as there are known clashes with the paid version.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/01/12 7:38:08 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Help uninstalling current McAfee, installing new subscription

Thanks for the quick reply,

Yes, this is Vista SP2, and yes a fresh MCPR was downloaded and I just now tried again on both safe mode (failed) and normal mode (failed).  It was saved to my desktop.

Yes, this is a hom product, not Enterprise.

All spyware software has been removed, and yes they were free versions.

Stuck, considering buying something else, but if there's a fix to this nightmare, I'm game - it would be a shame not to capitalize on the $$ spent and the hours burned just trying to update McAfee...

• 3. Re: Help uninstalling current McAfee, installing new subscription
              exbrit

Technical Support is your best bet then, it's free via phone or online chat.   See the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Do you by any chance use PC registry cleaners or optimizers?    Those are known to cause this problem.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/01/12 12:58:35 EST PM
              • 4. Re: Help uninstalling current McAfee, installing new subscription

OK, thank you - I have been able to get it reinstalled, although I had to forego installing a dozen or so files.

I ran MCPR again in safe mode, then in regular mode, then to my suprise I was able to run the installation (though not quite complete) in regular mode.

McAfee security center seems to be running and working. 

If it's up and running, but did not install ALL files, is there a chance that updates will not install properly?

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Help uninstalling current McAfee, installing new subscription
                  exbrit

That depends on what files were not installed I guess.   Technical Support might be able to help with that.   Meanwhile you could try the Virtual Technician to see if it can detect and fix any issues.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/