1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 9:09 AM by Dinz

Download update failure.

I am having a devil of a time with my McAee Total Protection!

I have a home wifi with three lap tops and a printer.  All items function perfectly on the system

I have the McAfee Total Protection installed on all three laptops - and it functions perfectly on two of them.  The third one is a Dell Inspiron E1505.  The program will not download any updates for this laptop.

The program recognizes that updates are available, but then nothing seems to download, and then I am told it has failed, and that my protection is now at risk.  As suggested, I have deleted and downloaded and re-installed the program 5-6 times, with the same results.

Also, it is suggested that I download the Virtual Technician, which I have done many times, and which does download, but installation always fails.  I have run Stinger, and nothing is found.

Is there some inherent setting that must be changed on this laptop that will allow updates to occur.?

Thank for any help, ESPECIALLY since McAfee does not provide its own help phone number.  I am just about ready to return to my former company's product.

• 1. Re: Download update failure.
          Dinz

Hi there ,

Please try the below steps and update us the status ;

Click on Start – Click on start search
          Type run and press enter
          On the open prompt type – drivers and press OK
          From here look for a file that says ‘etc’ and double click on it
          Right click on the file – Hosts and select Open with
          Choose Notepad and click OK

Make sure that the last line of the host file contains 127.0.0.1 local host

Any other additional entry below it can be edited and save the host file accordingly. If you are still unable to solve the issue with updates , please feel free to call our technical support from here : http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=PHONE

Thread moved to Security center section

Regards,