1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 7:43 AM by vuilverwerking

VSE 8.7i Crypt32 errors when using Proxy / ISA Server

Hi,

Does anybody know why all McAfee VSE8.7 clients try to connect to the following internet IP address.

Destination: External (65.55.21.250:80) Microsoft Corp.
      Destination: External (81.23.243.136:80) Akamai Technologies.
      Destination: External (87.248.201.177:80) Limelight Networks Inc.
      Destination: External (92.122.216.185:80) Akamai Technologies.

Our ISA Server action is 'Denied Connection' because:

1. VSE 8.7i connects on port 80 instead on port 8080.
      2. Also VSE 8.7i does not give a Client Username.

As result we have to wait for a long time at the "Applying computer settings" screen.
      The only resolution is to give all the client anonymous access to all these sites!!!
      After one succesfull connection the problem is gone?
      Is this some kind of Spyware?
      The Documentation/Manual doesn't tell anything about this.
      Also the System requirements do not tell you need a direct internet connection.
      There isn't an option for Proxy settings in VSE 8.7i.
      [C:\>PROXYCFG -u] can get the Internet Explorer settings but this isn,t an option for a lot of clients.
      Also the client default gateway isn't always the Proxy server.

McAfee told that it is a Microsoft problem?
      Give the computer direct internet access or uninstall Root Certificate Service on all your clients!!!
      Thats a bit of a problem for more then 100 clients!

Look at McAfee Corporate KnowledgeBase ID: KB53970
      Published: October 16, 2008

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=answerlink&url=https%3A%2F%2Fkc.mcafe e.com%3A443%2Fcorporate%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dcontent%26id%3DKB53970%26actp%3Dsearch& answerid=16777216&searchid=1228820579951
        • 1. Recurring problem. Could this be Artemis?
          rmetzger

Spyware? I am not convinced.

I wonder if the Artemis Technology is kicking in, testing connectivity at startup. Just a thought.

If it is Artemis kicking in at startup, possibly forcing it off might be a solution. Under Heuristic network check for suspicious files, set the desired Sensitivity level to OFF. Locate this setting in On-Access, On-Demand, and eMail Scan:

From https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53732&pmv=print points out that the Artemis Technology is by default Off.

Solution 1
          By default Artemis Technology is disabled in VirusScan Enterprise (VSE). To enable Artemis Technology for On-Demand Scan and On-Delivery Email Scan:

VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i -

On-Demand Scan policy:

1. Click Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
          2. Double-click On-Demand Scan and select the Performance tab if necessary.
          3. Under Heuristic network check for suspicious files, set the desired Sensitivity level.
          4. Click OK.

On-Delivery Email Scan policy:

1. For On-Delivery Email Scan mode, Artemis Technology is enabled via a dialog box as described below and in a corresponding ePO configuration screen.
          2. Click Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
          3. Double-click On-Delivery Email Scan and select the Scan Items tab if necessary.
          4. Under Heuristic network check for suspicious files, set the desired Sensitivity level.
          5. Click OK.

On-Access:

Enabled via a SuperDAT. Customers who wish to obtain this should contact their Technical Account Manager (TAM) or Support Account Manager (SAM).

Solution 3
          ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO)

Platinum customers can roll out Artemis Technology using ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) 3.6 or later. When checking in packages to ePO, there are three options; Current, Previous and Evaluation. The default is for all clients to use Current . To stage roll outs, you can assign a group of machines to update from evaluation. You can then check in the SuperDAT as evaluation.

To enable Artemis Technology for On-Demand Scan:and On-Delivery Email Scan using ePO:

ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0 - On-Delivery Email Scan policy

1. From ePolicy Orchestrator, click the Systems tab, the Policy Catalog tab and select the VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0 On Delivery Email Scan Policy.
          2. Select to edit the policy for Server or Workstation.
          3. Select the Scan Items tab and under Heuristic network check for suspicious files, select the Sensitivity level.
          4. Save the policy.

ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0 - On-Demand Scan task.

1. From ePolicy Orchestrator, select the Systems tab, then the System Tree tab.
          2. Select the Client Tasks tab and click New Task.
          3. Type a new name and select the On Demand Scan (VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0) task type and click Next.
          4. Select the Performance tab and under Heuristic network check for suspicious files, select the Sensitivity level.
          5. To schedule the task to run, click Next.
          6. To review and save the task, click Next again.

ePolicy Orchestrator 3.6.1 - On-Delivery Email Scan policy.

1. From the ePolicy Orchestrator directory structure, select the Policies tab and for the On Delivery Email Scan policy, click Edit.
          Click New Policy if one does not exist; type a new name and click OK.
          2. To edit a Policy, click the relevant Policy Name.
          3. Select to edit the policy for Server or Workstation.
          4. Select the Detection tab and under Heuristic network check for suspicious files, select the Sensitivity level.
          5. Save the policy.

ePolicy Orchestrator 3.6.1 - On-Demand Scan policy.

1. From the ePolicy Orchestrator directory structure, select the Tasks tab, then right-click Schedule Task.
          2. Type a new task name, select VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 On Demand Scan task, and click OK.
          3. Right-click the task and select Edit Task.
          4. Click Settings, select the Advanced tab and verify the Inherit check box is not checked.
          5. Under Heuristic network check for suspicious files, select the Sensitivity level.
          6. Click OK and then OK again

I might test this on 1 or 2 PCs and sense the network reaction during boot.

Since I do not currently have this problem, it is hard to replicate the problem. I have been reading about this issue for some time now, and I cannot think of any other item which would be in v8.7i that might cause this. I am curious if this suggestion helps (or at leasts helps diagnose the issue leading to a better solution).

Ron Metzger
          • 2. Thanx
            I will look at that new option!

Hope it is the problem.

Greetz,

Snarf
            • 3. RE: Thanx
              dominikk
              I've got the same problem, log on to restrictive domain account stops on "Applying computer settings" screen for about 2-4 minutes. I did what was mentioned above but with no result. Only rollback to 8.5 helps... It's strange becuase log on to administrator privileges account resolves the problem for 8.7i.
              • 4. RE: Thanx
                rmetzger

Hi Dominik,

Since Snarf has not replied yet as to his/her results, I do not know if my suggestions helped.

However, since you have found that logging in as an Administrator resolves the delay, I would follow up with this and ask if you know why the Administrator account gets through quickly, but not other limited accounts?

For instance:
                1) Are the client PCs accessing the Internet via a proxy server, such as ISA?
                2) Are Firewall restrictions in place and are these restrictions relaxed for Administrators?
                3) Can you review and identify any firewall or router 'failures or denials' in the appropriate logs?
                4) If so, can you identify the ports used and possibly opening these up (based on whether they are incoming or outgoing traffic, using UDP or TCP as listed in the log)?

My suspicions is that (if my theory is in play) that VSE 8.7i (Artemis technology?) is checking 'Root Certificates' and failing (timing out) causing the delay. The question is why is it failing and how to overcome this challenge?

Hope this is helpful, and please let us know your results or additional questions.

Thanks,
                Ron Metzger
                • 5. RE: Thanx
                  dominikk

Hi Ron

Thanks for your answer

Yes, the client PCs are accessing the Internet via proxy with user/password authorization (domain\username, password). I cannot check firewall logs because it is managed elswere by other company. I checked ip addressess pointed by Snarf and i cannot ping only 65.55.21.250 (i thing this address is invaild). I checked application log using limited account and administrator account. First difference is on administrator account there are no crypt32 errors. I tried to use proxycfg on limited account but this didn't resolve the problem.

Today i updated Virusscan to 8.7i on two pcs (notebook and desktop). I found that on notebook the problem didn't occur, the crypt32 errors are still there (so 1/5 works ok...., i've got 125 more to test). And i cannot find why it works...
                  • 6. RE: Thanx
                    dominikk
                    I requested to give access on firewall to:

Destination: External (81.23.243.136:80) Akamai Technologies.
                    Destination: External (87.248.201.177:80) Limelight Networks Inc.
                    Destination: External (92.122.216.185:80) Akamai Technologies.

And for now this is the only way to resolve this problem. But from security point it is not acceptable... I cannot request to give access to whole company network. I still don't now why mcafee 8.7i on one of the laptops works ok... If i find something new i will post it here. Ron thanks for your help.
                    • 7. Unwelcome Communications in question.
                      rmetzger

Dominik, You are quite welcome!

Actually, I was going to thank you for the information. As I suspected, VSE v8.7i is accessing these sites for some undocumented reason, quite early in the boot/login process. (Though the laptop that works has me wondering.) It would be nice to trap the communications that are taking place so we can see just what is going on. This would lead us to possible solutions or at least an explanation that tech support can use to make engineering change requests to the developers.

As for the working laptop . . . I wonder if the network driver is some how different (the most up to date, or even really out of date)? Is the gateway setting different or possibly DNS settings different? Again, trapping this communication and comparing this to those that fail might give us some idea to the root cause of the time out delays.

This is most interesting indeed. I wonder what is passing back and forth and what a High Security facility might think about this.

Ron Metzger
                      • 8. RE: Unwelcome Communications in question.
                        Just a wild guess:
                        Does 8.7 access/check these sites to accomodate the .DAT downloads done by the Common Framework?

These sites are mostly used for ESD:
                        http://www.akamai.com/html/solutions/electronic_software_delivery.html

reg, Henno.
                        • 9. RE: Unwelcome Communications in question.
                          dominikk

The network driver details:

(Dell Latitude D600)
                          Broadcom 570x
                          2006-05-15

This driver is older that, for example, on my pc. The difference is that on this laptop proxy has never been set up. Other thing is there is a Mcafee firewall installed but turned off. The gateawy and DNS setting are the same.
                          1 2 Previous Next