9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2014 5:16 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver

ckarthick92

I had installed the McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise in my laptop and tried to uninstall it. I was able to succesfully uninstall the virus scan enterprise but when i tried to uninstall McAfee Agent I could not do so and it gave me an messsage saying "cannot uninstall while in managed mode". I even tried using MCPR which didnt work. I then tried installing a Kaspersky Antivirus and got a message asking me to remove 'McAfee antivirus file system filter driver'. I just chanced upon a previous discussion regarding the same problem and could not gather anything from it. I am struggling with this for about two days and I am in need of assistance.

• 1. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
          Ex_Brit

Moved to VirusScan Enterprise from Malware Discussion for better attention.

• 2. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
            Ex_Brit

While you waiting for an expert here is the link to manual removal of VSE:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2371

• 3. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
              hem

To uninstall the agent, I will run the command FrmInst.exe /forceuninstall (FrmInst.exe will be under \Program files\McAfee\Common framework).

After uninstalling VSE, once you reboot the machine then filter drivers should be removed. If not then under Drivers folder (\Windows\System32\Drivers), there will be couple of Mfe file (for example: mfehidk.sys etc). Rename these Mfe*.sys file, reboot the machine. Filter driver files will be removed.

• 4. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
                tlnelsn13

My pc seems to seems to have the same issue as ckarthick92, except I think the McAfee product was loaded unintentionally when updating a java or adobe application. Must have forgotten to uncheck the option. Anyway, I cannot find FrmInst.exe under \Program files\McAfee\Common framework. I ran a windows explorer search of my computer. It is nowhere to be found. So, it must be a glitch in the Kaspersky antivitus application. I clicked "skip" and ent on my merry way.

• 5. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
                  Ex_Brit

tlnelsn13 wrote:

My pc seems to seems to have the same issue as ckarthick92, except I think the McAfee product was loaded unintentionally when updating a java or adobe application. Must have forgotten to uncheck the option. Anyway, I cannot find FrmInst.exe under \Program files\McAfee\Common framework. I ran a windows explorer search of my computer. It is nowhere to be found. So, it must be a glitch in the Kaspersky antivitus application. I clicked "skip" and ent on my merry way.

The product that installs optionally with Adobe is called Security Scan Plus and can be uninstalled in the normal manner via Control Panel.   It is not antivirus software, merely a sales tool.  It checks for vulnerabilities then suggests retail software to deal with it.  

Always watch what is offered by 3rd parties in these installations/updates.  I've seen many unwanted toolbars and even Norton and other security companies in on the act.   It's not just Adobe products you have to watch carefully either, many other companies are adopting this 'optional' 3rd party downloading as a revenue tool, I assume.   Things like that are often employed to help keep costs down and hence provide free or very cheap software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/05/13 7:30:16 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
                    telechoice

The following 3 Phase solution actually assisted in solving the installation problem McAfee Anti-Virus File System Filter Driver: Phase 1 and Phase 2 are mandatorily required.

McAfee Anti-Virus File System Filter Drivers can be located at:

Phase2

1. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services- You can find McAfee filter drivers for naiavf5x.sys under this key.The file name is Mfeavfk.sys(This is for Host Intrusion Prevention).

Delete this key.

2. Using the Microsoft Windows Device Manager by clicking on View>Show Hidden Devices>Non-Plug and Play  Drivers find the Antivirus drivers.The McAfee Drivers is listed as Mfeavfk.sys (Uninstall this Driver)

3.Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers - Manually delete all the remaining McAfee Drivers located here - Mfe*.sys files

4.You may also disable McAfee filter driver temporarily by changing the start value in above mentioned registry key and then setting the value to Start 4=SERVICE_DISABLED

IMAGE_NAME: naiavf5x.sys

Phase 3

To completely remove all the traces of installed McAfee hidden folders and files delete:

C:\programdata\McAfee folder

C:\Users\%Username%\Appdata\Roaming\McAfee folder

C:\Program Files \Common Fles\ McAfee folder

C:\Program Files\McAfee

Phase 1

To do the uninstall:

Step1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features

Uninstall all the McAfee components listed as installed

Step 2.at the command prompt :

For x64 Windows change to  C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\

Type FrmInst.exe /Forceuninstall (press Enter)

For x86 Windows change to C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\

Type FrmInst.exe /Forceuninstall (press Enter)

If its agent removal only use FrmInst.exe /Remove=Agent

Manually remove Registry Key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee

Step 3: MSIEXEC

Depending on the  VirusScan Enterprise version installed.

Execute the installer at the Command Prompt  with Elevated Permission:

Msiexec.exe /x  {Registry Key}  REMOVE=ALL  REBOOT=R /q

Step 4. HIP Removal

Msiexec.exe /x {Registry Key} EPOSPAWNED = True  /q  /I+*V C:\Windows\McAfeeHip(x)_install.log

Manually Remove Registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Finally remember to always reboot your machine.

Message was edited by: telechoice on 11/28/13 9:42:20 AM CST

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/11/13 11:01:31 EST AM
                    • 7. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
                      Ex_Brit

Thanks for posting however this is an old thread and was already answered by a McAfee person.  The part you posted reading "Download the MCPR tool from McAfee support site" does not apply to Enterprise products.....MCPR is only good for some of the Consumer products and not even all of those.

I removed that reference.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/11/13 11:02:27 EST AM
                      • 8. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
                        nageshsingh

Hi ckarthick92,

I am alsoagreed with telechoice.Please let us know if still you need any help.

• 9. Re: Method to remove McAfee antivirus file system filter driver
                          Ex_Brit

As this thread is 3+ years old I am locking it.  FYI nageshsingh, you might want to use the default form font otherwise people might not be able to read your posts as they are typed so small.