5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 8:53 AM by kreutz

Simple way to turn off McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 on Win XP?

I'm running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise v8.8.0.777 on Windows XP SP3.  Frequently I'm forced to run two memory-intensive programs simultaneously which necessitates that I kill every extraneous process that I can identify.  Obvious dangers aside, is there a simple way to temporarily kill mcshield.exe (and keep if from re-spawning itself?  Disabling the Service doesn't seem to keep it from re-appearing.  Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Simple way to turn off McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 on Win XP?
          k3tg

Moving thread to Virus Scan Enterprise for assistance as this was posted in Home Products

• 2. Re: Simple way to turn off McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 on Win XP?
            pato

If you stop the On-Access Scanner in the Mcafee Console, it would normaly stay stopped. But if you have a managed installation, this will be overridden in most cases. If that is the case, then you need to contact your system administrator.

pato

• 3. Re: Simple way to turn off McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 on Win XP?

Dear Pato,

Thanks, but what I need to do is temporarily turn off the entire suite to free up the substantial amount of memory that it uses.  By the way, I AM the system administrator!  I can re-boot if I have to; is there a simple switch/procedure that I can use to NOT start up MacAfee at boot time?  [Otherwise, I'm probably going to have to boot up using Win XP's /3GB option (sketchy!) in order to give my applications more memory.]

Thanks for your help,

Tom Kreutz

Message was edited by: kreutz on 1/3/12 12:32:51 PM CST
              • 4. Re: Simple way to turn off McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 on Win XP?
                pato

No a complete turn-off is not possible (if you don't want to tinker with special permissions on services).

But if you disable the On-Access Scanner, then the most ressource hungry service is turned off.

I used the /3GB switch for years, but rarely felt any difference. If you really need more memory, then better switch to a 64bit OS which offers this possibility.

• 5. Re: Simple way to turn off McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 on Win XP?

Dear Pato,

Thanks for your helpful thoughts.  Unfortunately, disabling "Access Protection", Buffer Overflow Protection" and "On-Access Scanner" does not remove mcshield.exe from memory.  However, I discovered last night that killing every process that I could identify (including as many McAfee processes as I could find) DID allow me to run my two big programs simultaneously.  (I was careful not to sneeze, lest it cause them to crash!)  Unfortunately, I also discovered that the /3GB switch doesn't appear to run on Win XP under Parallels Desktop for Mac 6 (on Mac OS X 10.6.8/MacBook Pro 5.3), which is where I'm trying this experiment.  (Perhaps Parallels requires too much of the remaining 1 GB.  But the /3GB does run on my desktop machine; maybe I'll switch to that box.)  I suspect that, indeed, 64 bit Windows is in my near future.  I've just been a bit too lazy to rebuild my entire machine and solve whatever problems come with 64 bits.  Ah, well...

Thanks again for your help, and Happy New Year!

Tom