6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 10:47 AM by brupnick

Scan Hangs on Java Server (messageStore\Log\Log)

brupnick

Good morning-

I have started to roll out a full system scan from my ePO server to all of the servers in my environment.  However, on a large portion of my Java servers, the scan seems to get stuck on the D:\messageStore\Log\Log file.  This file is only about 100 MB, but my scan has been running for 250 hours and won't complete.  I can't seem to stop the scan either, so the only way for me to stop it is to reboot the server.  The CPU is running very high, so the machine's performance is degraded.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thank you,
      Brian

• 1. Re: Scan Hangs on Java Server (messageStore\Log\Log)
          sbenedix

Well I haven't seen that before, if you scan the file only, right click and select scan for threats, does it exihibit similar syptoms? Or take the file to another machine (a workstation) and do a target scan for just that single file, same behaviour?

Is that file constantly being written into? As it is a log file that might well be the case, but should not affect the ODS.

If on your workstation the scan behaviour can be reproduced with this particular file, I would have MFE support investigate this further. It should not take that long, seems to have got stuck somewhere.

• 2. Re: Scan Hangs on Java Server (messageStore\Log\Log)
            brupnick

Thanks for the response sbenedix.  I tried some of your suggestions and will break them out below.

1. If you scan the file only, right click and select scan for threats, does it exihibit similar syptoms?
              • Yes.  I manually initiated a scan of just this file and it's been running for almost an hour now
            2. Take the file to another machine (a workstation) and do a target scan for just that single file, same behaviour?
              • Actually, I can't copy the file anywhere - to the desktop of the server, another server, a desktop, etc.  When I try, I get the following error:
                • Cannot copy Log: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
              • Could this be the cause of my issue right here?  I find it hard to believe that everyone who is using Java and McAfee AV isn't having this same problem.  I'm going to talk to my Java admins to see if they might be able to shed some light on this.
            3. Is that file constantly being written into?
              • Based on the behavior above, I thought it would be, however the time stamp on the file will be 30 minutes behind the current time.  However, while it might not get written to actively, based on #2 above, it does look like some process has this file open all the time.
              • 3. Re: Scan Hangs on Java Server (messageStore\Log\Log)

Does your On-Access General Policy have a maximum scanning time set?  Also, you could set an exclusion for that file or folder in your On-Access Default Process policy, or set it up to use High-Risk, Low-Risk, and Default Policies.

Message was edited by: jguenrdc on 1/5/12 10:15:52 AM CST
                • 4. Re: Scan Hangs on Java Server (messageStore\Log\Log)
                  brupnick

If I'm looking in the right place, I believe that I do.

Maximum scan time:

• 5. Re: Scan Hangs on Java Server (messageStore\Log\Log)

Your best bet is probably to set up an exclusion then.  Since you have a maximum scan time set, it must have something to do with the file being opened by another process.

• 6. Re: Scan Hangs on Java Server (messageStore\Log\Log)
                      brupnick

Thanks jguenrdc; that's what I've done so we'll see if that helps.