8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 4:15 AM by petejg

What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?

Has anyone had problems with the MFP (McAfee Family Protection) software. I purchased the All Access product and purchased the family plan for 5 devices. I downloaded the total protection poration of that first then downloaded the MFP. No problem on the Total Protection download and the MFP downloaded fine and then installed fine. When it first comes up it ask for your administrator email and password - I gave it the ones for my McAfee MyAccount - it did not recognize it - rejected it and said that email address was not in the system. I called support and what a mess. I could not connect to the internet on those computers (MFP blocked all access because it was not set up yet). To make a long story a bit shorter the support people fist spent an hour to no avail and then told me the second tier people would call me in an hour - 7 hours later no call - I then had to start the process all over again. Thjis time a second tier person took control of my system and at least was able to uninstall the software. He then uninstalled the software - reinstalled it and it still did not work. He then took some diagonistics and said he would call me back tomorrow.... needless to say still no call. Is ther any special pho0ne number to get to someone who can really fix a problem. I wwas told that it looked like something wrong in the McAfee server - whatever that is. HELP!!!!!

• 1. Re: What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?
          Peter M

You can call Technical Support any time between 6am and 6pm Pacific time daily - click the link under Useful Links at the top of this page or here: http://service.mcafee.com/ServiceSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=PHONE

It's a free call.

As it's a holiday I doubt anyone will be along in these forums with knowledge of the product before at least tomorrow so you could give the above a try.  Give them an case ID numbers that were given to you.

• 2. Re: What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?
            Dinz

Hi there,

Please be informed that this issue is something new that we are experiencing with Family protection. However, I have asked the concerned Tier 2 team to have the case escalated to the next level of support for immediate  action . You should be getting a call from the Tier 2 team to let you know regarding the same . Please do not worry, we would get this issue diagnosed at the  first  place on why it happened and get it resolved.

Regards,

• 3. Re: What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?

Peter - thanks for trying to help but when I go to that link (which I have now done three times) I just get set up for a call back. I have given them my case number - now it seems I have a new Service Request number - 484570-805340044  assigned to me by a tier two "expert" who basically has been calling me ans setting up a time to talk and then not calling me back at the assigned time and calling me when I am in a meeting or busy. I can't alter my life to let McAfee fix its problems and no one is following up and fixing the issue. I have given my long in information to three sets of people now with three separate promisses to research it and get it fixed. Here is the last email I just got..................

From: McAfee Tier 2.5 Team [mailto:McAfeeCallback@SutherlandGlobal.COM]
              Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:18 PM
              To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: McAfee Follow Up

Hi Bruce,

This is Karthik from McAfee Tier 2.5 Team for the follow up on your Service Request Number 484570-805340044 that you had received from McAfee with regards to issue that you were facing. We are really apologize for the inconvenience where we were unable to give you a call back on the specified time, also we are still researching on the issue that you are facing with McAfee, soon we will get the update on it. We will follow-up you the same tomorrow  and explain the status of the issue.

Thanks & Regards,
              Karthik
              McAfee Tier 2.5 Team

------------------

Now I see I have tier 2.5 team on the problem - at least that should inspire more confidence than my other teir 2.0 team.... I run a software company and we used to have the utmost faith in all things McAfee - that is all gone now - I understand problems... I also am quite confident that there are several if not many people at McAfee that can resolve my problem.... what I can't understand is the total lack of my ability to get to just one of those people who can set aside some time to get this fixed. I know I am just one customer and one $149.00 of business but this is frustrating and very non-McAffee-like.

• 5. Re: What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?
                Dinz

Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused . . . I have forwarded that service request with an immediate cal back request. Just that you know you should be getting a call back soon from the team .

Regards,

• 6. Re: What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?

Dinz and Peter(Ex-Brit) - thanks for taking action - I did receive a call within minutes of posting here - great response - Thank you for your help. I am told that my issue has been sent to the developers for resolution........ now waiting on Teir 3.0 I guess .... any idea which Tier level I have to get to to get a resolution versus a wait....... here is a question I have for everyone - both customer and customer service....Heck for everyone out there who has ever had a technical problem they needed help with to resolve........

How long is a wait for a fix to a product that you have paid for considered "patience and courteous" and at what time does that wait turn into "have you lost your mind - cut your losses and bail"

I run a software company and this is a question we wrestle with all the time with our products........

• 7. Re: What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?
                    Peter M

I'm glad something moved on the support front.  As far as acceptable wait times etc.  I'll leave that to Dinz to answer.

• 8. Re: What horrible support.... why does my MFP not recognize my administrator email?

Hi

Found this on Google as the same thig happened to me. This is badged as BT Family Protection in the UK as British Telecom  provide mcafee products free to all premium Broadband customers.   I added it on a second computer a Win7 laptop and the product generated a second serial number number but wouldn't let me enter as the administrator. Thought I had the admin password wrong at first but then I could not generate an email reminder as my email address wasn't recognized. In fact the product had not only blocked the win7 laptop from the internet but also my original vista laptop (not sure how it could do this). An hour with BT 2nd line support and they removed BT Family Protection form both laptops and it goes down as a password problem.

Quite like the product but this is a nasty bug and I wont be installing it again until I know there is a fix