9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 5:26 PM by pcchick

Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus

McAfee Internet Security (purchased January 2011) completely failed to detect the Vista Internet Security 2012 virus in both real time scanning and offline full system maintenance scanning. It took me about half-a-day to figure out what was wrong with my computer, how to fix it, and then do the fix. I'm really, really disappointed in my McAfee product for this failure, and for its crushing load on my computer's system resources. BTW, I followed Microsoft's advice to use the virus fix at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-vista-internet-security-201 2 , and it worked.

• 1. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus
          exbrit

None of the major antivirus applications can deal with these things because of the way they work.   You did the right thing and went searching for a solution.  There are a few tools and procedures mentioned here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

• 2. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus

This particular infection hascome from some insecure website. When you visit an unsafe website, amessage pops up and tells you to first download a newer version ofFlash player to play the video or to view this website. You might get inclined to click on the pop up for the reason that it's telling youto install a newer version of flash player, Please do not do this. It'sa virus.

Sometimes it may be in the form of “installdrivers (or) plug-in's (or) active X controls etc”. If we click onthese pop ups (knowingly or unknowingly), it will automatically installa malicious spy ware on your computer.

These pop-ups may contain multiple options like Save, Run, Cancel, Yes,No etc. If we click on any of these options it will automaticallyinstall this spy ware. The best solution to avoid this spy ware is toclose the browser window like internet explorer, fire fox etc.

We should be aware of this situation and neverdownload an Adobe Flash Player through any source other than theAdobe.com website. If you are ever uncertain of a Flash Player Updateit may be best to cancel the operation and navigate to http://www.adobe.com and download the update.

These spy wares send pop ups to purchase theirproducts. If we enter the credit card details for purchasing these spywares, they will hack our credit card information.

Vista Internet Security 2012 / Vista Home Security 2012./ Vista Anti Virus / Windows 7 Security  2012 all these are same spayware.

If you are trying to remove this spyware, there are full instructions on how to do    that manually at the link :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/12/11 7:14:46 EST AM
            • 3. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus
              exbrit

How to fix file associations in Windows:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1264

Kuttus please don't post registry key fixes, especially from rival software companies.

Your link has already been posted in every one of the many threads you have posted to, so thanks anyway.

• 4. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus
                Hayton

I think this belongs in Top Threats, so I've moved it there.

• 5. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus

I found my pc infected this morning.  McAffee never detected it nor corrected it with scan.  Contacted support and advised they would fix it for $180.  That's a hell of a service and protection plan they have.  We will protect but if we do not we will fix for $180 bucks.  No thanks.

• 6. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus

Try this manuall method. You can do it yourself.

http://123seminarsonly.com/Tips/007/Vista-Internet-Security-2012.html

If you feel any deficulty we will be happy tp help you with this problem.

Replay here for more helps.

• 7. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus
                      exbrit

None of the major antivirus software will defend you against these things because of the way the malware works.   Hence the need for specific tools as mentioned earlier in this thread.  It's quite normal for any antivirus maker to charge for personal virus removal.   Sorry you are having the problem but there are free solutions available.

• 8. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus

There may be one more infection assosiated with it. . To check it's presence you have to do one thing.

In Windows XP

----------------------

Click on the start meanu and press on Run.

Inside the Run window type CMD and press on Okay.

In the black Command Window type

NETSH WINSOCK RESET and hit on enter.

If you get a message

"Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." then you are safe.

If not your computer is infected.

Steps - 1

Try the above steps.

Steps-2

Ping.exe is a infection. To fix this run a SIGVERIF on the compuiter. For that Click on Start Menue -> Click on Run -> Type SIGVERIF and press on Ok.

Follow the instructions.

It will detect one infected *.sys  file. You have to replace that file from the recovery console.

The other solution to fix it is a Fresh Installation.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

--------------------------------------…

Click on the Start Menu and in the Search box type CMD

At the top you can see a CMD file. Just right click on that file and select Run as

Administrator.

In the black Command Window type

NETSH WINSOCK RESET and hit on enter.

If you get a message

"Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." then you are safe.

If not your computer is infected. In windows Vista and Windows 7 a successful system restore

will fix the issue. Try a system restore to a good point.

After a successful system restore try to do the same step again.

If you got the message "Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." your computer is safe and secure.

• 9. Re: Vista Internet Security 2012 Virus

I had a veru difficult time trying to figure out the bleeping computer site. It seemed to technical for me. I tried hitting control alt delete which is one of my old tricks and it did nothing.

I kept on searching and found this site that had me re-boot into safe mode and download software to remove it. I was skeptical but finally did it and it WORKED! 

I have since reienstalled my Norton and everything is fine!

Here is the site I went to for removing the virus, they have a simple 3 step format to remove the virus: http://www.security-exchange.net/news/internet-security-2012-virus/

Good luck guys!

Message was edited by: pcchick on 1/22/12 5:26:11 PM CST

Message was edited by: pcchick on 1/22/12 5:26:26 PM CST

Message was edited by: pcchick on 1/22/12 5:26:45 PM CST