5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2011 9:16 PM by thecreator

Internet Hangs - definately a Total Protection problem

Hi.

I've now tried everything I can think of. I am not that savvy with computers so plain english is great. I have been having heaps of trouble with the internet. I've tried IE, Chrome, Firefox (my preferred) but everytime on try to load a page the internet hangs. I then simply reload the page & then it usually works however, there are times when I just go round in circles so give up. I followed the guidance from Firefox but that didn't help & I also tried Microsoft. Finally my computer finally got to the stage where I couldn't even download to try & get it resolved. My next resort was to get rid of Vista 32bit & install Windows 7 Operating System. I did not upgrade but replaced. To do this I had to uninstall Total Protection. On changing systems I used Microsoft Security Suite until I could reinstall TP from download. My internet was working perfectly but guess what ... as soon as I reinstalled TP the same issue has returned.

Can anyone help or do I simply shut down TP & go back to Microsoft? This is driving me crazy & I have been trying to resolve this for months. Oh look ... as I am about to Post Message the 'wheel' on Communities is still turning!

• 1. Re: Internet Hangs - definately a Total Protection problem
          thecreator

Hi Kazza,

Definitely more information is needed for a good response.

What is your Windows 7 operating system? 32-Bit or 64-Bit?  Service Pack Level? Version is Starter, Home, Pro or Ultimate?

Did you reformat and then install?

What version of Total Protection is installed? Build Number?

Did you clean out Microsoft Security Suite, before you downloaded TP?

• 2. Re: Internet Hangs - definately a Total Protection problem

Hi thecreator.

Sorry ... forgot to put that stuff in ...

Windows 7 32-bit (x86)

Service Pack Level 1

Home Premium

Did you reformat and then install?  ???  I replaced everything with the disc moving off my file etc to an external hard drive.

McAfee Security Centre version 11  Build 11.0.649

McAfee Virus Scan version 15  Build 15.0.294  last update

McAfee Personal Firewall Version 12  Build 12.0.345

McAfee SiteAdvisor version 3.4  Build 3.4.0.143

McAfee Anti-Spam version 12  Build 12.0.292

McAfee Parental Controls version 13.0  Build 13.0.319

McAfee Anti-Theft File Protection version 2.0  Build 2.0.403

McAfee Online Backup version 3.0  Build 3.0.128

McAfee QuickClean & Shredder version 11.0  Build 11.4.416

Definately uninstalled Microsoft Security Suite before I downloaded TP.

• 3. Re: Internet Hangs - definately a Total Protection problem
              thecreator

Hi Kazza,

Open the Security Center.

Click on Firewall, then click  Settings. Scroll down until you see Net Guard. Uncheck Turn on Net Guard (Recommended).

Next click Home at the very top.

Click on Real-Time Scanning settings. Click Turn Off. Set to Never and click Turn Off. Click Done.

Just run a Full Scan Weekly, especially if you have a Router between the computer and modem. If you don't have a Router, just make sure the Firewall remains on.

You will notice a big speedup. Plus you remain protected.

• 4. Re: Internet Hangs - definately a Total Protection problem

Thank you so much thecreator. Worked like a dream.

Question though ... with real time scanning off & I go on the internet a fair amount ... I will be still protected day to day?

• 5. Re: Internet Hangs - definately a Total Protection problem
                  thecreator

kazza wrote:

Thank you so much thecreator. Worked like a dream.

Question though ... with real time scanning off & I go on the internet a fair amount ... I will be still protected day to day?

Hi kazza,

This is the beautiful of it all. If you come across a questionable site, Email or Web-site, before clicking on any link, turn on Real-Time Scanning and proceed.

Also you can close the Browser. Turn on Real-Time Scanning and go back to the web-site in question.

You don't need it on all the time.

I also for the most part, read the Emails via Web-Mail to check them out first and then download all the Emails right afterwards.