1 2 3 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 6:35 PM by Unhappy-bunny

realtime scanning not detecting cookies

Hi

Since this morning at 7:07 realtime scanning is not detecting tracking cookies.

I did a full system scan and no tracking coockies were found.

I did an mcafee update this mornig at 8 for total protection 2011

The dat version is 6567

I had run MVT but everything was Ok

Is it possible that it has something to do with the update this morning?

I have deleted the coockies form IE 9

My pc with windows 7 64bit

Message was edited by: revealdion on 12/22/11 9:06:09 AM CST
        • 1. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

Mcafee sometimes does not pick up all of the tracking cookies.I use an alternate program called superantispyware.It is good to have another scanner anyways.If you want to download this.You can get the free edition here http://superantispyware.com/

• 2. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

I understand that but it is detecting nothing.

Normaly the log is full with tracking cookies that are repaird and deleted

When i do a full scan nothing comes up

IE 9 is using cookies i see them when i open quickclean

Everything worked fine yesterday and this morning until 7:07

Maybe it has something too do with the update this morning?

I dont know

• 3. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

Hi

I have installed super antispyware and did a scan it found 20 tracking cookies the first time.

Everytime i have used IE 9 i did a new scan and there were 18 tracking cookies found.

Mcafee realtime scanning has scaned nothing and full scan also found nothing.

Before this happend mcafee has detected 83972 tracking cookies since 21-1-2011

Message was edited by: revealdion on 12/23/11 1:10:57 AM CST
              • 4. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies
                exbrit

Hi revealdion,

Where are you looking for the tracking cookie detections?  If you have the setting to detect them switched on and if detected they would be showing in Navigation (top right) > Quarantined and Trusted Items.  Click those three grey bars to expand them.

Sometimes that area takes a long time to populate if there are many.

Perhaps the setting is turned off?

On the main user interface home page click Virus and Spyware protection

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings and check that Tracking Cookies is checked there. 

Click Apply if necessary.

Personally I have that detection turned off simply because they are usually harmless and needlessly fill up the quarantine folders but of course that's a personal choice.

Also different software will detect different things quite often.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/12/11 8:05:25 EST AM
                • 5. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

I have tried to open the quarantine folder and waited for 1 hour but nothing comes the wheel keeps spinning.

The setting is turned on.

I Am a bit affraid that the real time scanning is not dectecting for spyware and viruses.

According to mc affee and windows security center it seems to be on.

Maybe ist a little bug ore something.

• 6. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies
                    exbrit

It's working OK but there is a bug that they are aware of regarding the quarantine folder not emptying after a certain length of time.   You can cure that by emptying it manually.

First double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

Take care to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Those instructions are for Vista/Windows 7. 

For XP the folder is found at:  C:Documents & Settings/All Users/Application Data/McAfee/Virusscan

You can reduce their number in future considerably if you are prepared to accept Tracking Cookies.  Those enable websites to remember your sign-in details etc.

With SecurityCenter open click Virus and Spyware Protection to expand that section.

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings and scroll down to Tracking Cookies

Uncheck that and click Apply.

There are a few 3rd Party Tools that can help keep malware at bay mentioned about halway down this page:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

• 7. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

Hi

i have deleted the items in quarentine folder.

There were 3 items that could not be deleted.

I can now acces the quarentine section in mcafee

realtime scanning is still not scanning the tracking cookies.

And no threats were placed in the log.

• 8. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies
                        exbrit

The log isn't always accurate I have found.   Mine says 10 tracking cookies and I don't even have that setting turned on.  Maybe it detected them and ignored them perhaps.

What Superantispyware says are tracking cookies could be far different from what VirusScan says.

If you think it's malfunctioning try Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.   

I could ask about it but our next conference call with McAfee isn't until 9th January.

• 9. Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

I have noticed the same kind of conduction of Norton Internet Security.

1 2 3 Previous Next