2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 3:34 PM by swissrich

Password for User Interface in VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i

Hi,

I have already asked this question on this forum, but unfortunately I did not have a satisfactory reply ( http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?p=536530 ).

Somehow a password has been introduced into the VirusScan console, I cannot remember having done it myself (none of my standard passwords work) - to the best of my knowledge I was never prompted for any password. So now I cannot change any settings anymore.

Two questions :
      - How come there is suddenly a password prompt ?
      - How do I recover from this problem ?

Somebody had the kindness to reply to my previous posting, suggesting to remove completely and re-install the programme. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION, as I have not got the original installation files anymore. I would also be interested in why there is this sudden change which forces me to de-install and re-install the whole programme. We live in 2008 and I would guess that nowadays we should be able to simply expect programmes to work without having to fiddle around with the system.

Thanks a lot in advance

Richard
        • 1. RE: Password for User Interface in VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i
          Well, I can't tell you why the password was created/ added. I'll say it was created by someone on your computer. I've never seen it occur by accident, nor have I seen an "accidental" password creation come up on these boards.

Next, the only fix for the issue is an uninstall, then reinstall of the program by an administrative user on the computer.. If you currently don't have the installation files to reinstall the program, and because VirusScan Enterprise is a corporate product only, then reinstalling is easy.. Simply go to the corporate admin of your company, (or to the admin of the university where you received the program, if that's the case), and have them provide the new updated version of VS Enterprise.. If you no longer belong to one of these organizations, then you may want to pursue other options.

Sorry, there are no other options that I'm aware of. Such is the reason I didn't re-respond to your original post..

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: Password for User Interface in VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i
            Hello Grif,

thanks for your kind reply.

> I'll say it was created by someone on your computer.

No chance ! It's a personal laptop, I'm strictly the only user.

> I've never seen it occur by accident, nor have I seen
            > an "accidental" password creation come up on these boards.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=211596 ?

> If you no longer belong to one of these organizations, then
            > you may want to pursue other options.

That is indeed a small problem... :)

Thanks again for your kind reply.

Kind regards

Richard