7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 9:18 PM by k3tg

Internet Security stopped working after update

My Internet Security software has stopped functioning after it ran an update on itself. The firewall will not torn on, real-time scanning will only stay active for a few seconds, and the virus scans error out.

I have run a few other scans with no results. I used the McAfee detection tool, and it did find errors with missing files that it could not fix.

I then decided to do a system restore to yesterday before the issue started. Sure enough everything worked fine. Then I told the software to check for updates, and the conditions returned as soon as I restarted after the update. I did this once more to verify, and got the same results.

I am running 64 bit windows 7. Is this a known issue? Is there something I should do, or just hope the next update fixes it?

thanks

• 1. Re: Internet Security stopped working after update
          k3tg

Try to run this http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/en-us/default.html?en-us which will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to fix any it finds. Please post the session id and include a screenshot of what MVT finds.

You could contact Technical Support who can remote connect into your computer to see if any conflicts are causing this issue.

You could also try to do a uninstall reinstall. Maybe the update did not install properly. Dont forget to reboot the computer and run the MCPR removal tool under Useful Links and reboot again. Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

Let us kno if this works for you

• 2. Re: Internet Security stopped working after update

Hey k3tg Sorry it took so long to get back. The holidays are pretty busy.

I ran the scan, and it found 42 problems (28 of which are missing files). The ID number for the scan is 36857437.

I tried doing the uninstall/reinstall, but can't. I can uninstall fine, and run the utility. Then I cannot access the internet at all after that. I had to restore to a previous restore point.

I considered calling support, but on the web site it says there is a fee for troubleshooting like that, and I can't justify having to pay a fee to fix something that was broken by an authorized update. Is that not the case?

Thanks Tom!

Brad

• 3. Re: Internet Security stopped working after update
              k3tg

There is no charge for Technical Support and you can reach them 24/7. They recently began offering free telephone support.

There would be a fee if you purchased the McAfee Virus removal service. Tech support can remote connect into your computer to see if there are any problems with any of the process of the operating system that may be conflicting with McAfee.

Have you ever had any security software before?

Have you ever had any virus or malware issues?

Are you up to date with Microsoft updates?

Are you or have you ever used any registry cleaner software?

Try running this free program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

I will see if I can get another mod or McAfee person to chime in here

• 4. Re: Internet Security stopped working after update

Hey K3TG

This is a fairly new computer, so it's the only virus software on here. I ran MB before posting, It did pick up a toolbar, but nothing that looked malicious.

I've had no malware issues as far as I know (nothing mcafee has alerted me to)

Windows updates are current. All mcafee virus definitions and software updates are kept current as well.

I'd almost feel better if I could actually detect a virus, just so I would know what I am dealing with here, but so far everything comes up clean. I can revert to an old restore point, and mcafee runs fine until it updates (I turned off updates and ran it for a couple of hours to check).

Thanks for any help you can offer. If we can't get it fixed, I guess I'll have to try and set aside a few hours to call support sometime in the next few days. I'd much rather figure things out here because I don't know when I will have the time to set aside.

• 5. Re: Internet Security stopped working after update
                  k3tg

You mentioned your scan picked up a toolbar. Do you remember what it was?

Try running the MVT scan I gave you the link earlier. Please post a screenshot when completed as it will display the versions of McAfee you have on your computer along with the Affid number.

I am still thinking you may have a virus or a malware issue. One of the other mods mentioned about the free Malwarebytes scan and by downloading and installing in Safe Mode with Networking  by repeatedly tapping F8 while booting up. This way it can be updated and run in that mode also. This bypasses if the infection is preventing anything happening in the regular mode.

If you want to consider another venue go to https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168 and follow the instructions for GetsUp and HiJackThis.

• 6. Re: Internet Security stopped working after update

What it found was the television fanatic toolbar.

Malware Bytes ran fine before, and updated and ran again a moment ago.

I was thinking there may be a virus too, but I can reliably "break" the mcafee software by loading a safe restore point, and updating it. It just seems odd. No other scan I have run has found anything.

Here's a cap of the MVT results. Of course the Session ID is different from the one I posted earlier. (Registry errors are new after running MB)

mvt.png

• 7. Re: Internet Security stopped working after update
                      k3tg

Brad

Can you try to do a system restore back several days to a point to where you know you were not experiencing any issues. You first started this thread on December 21 so maybe restore to then or December 20

Next step is to try to uninstall the software and reboot the computer. Go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool and reboot again.

Follow the instructions in this link http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100119 and run the McAfee preinstall tool which is mentioned inside the link.

Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

If this fails contact Tech Support and give them permission to remote connect to your machine to figure out what is going on.