1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 1:33 PM by theflyingmonkey

Weird Scan Results

theflyingmonkey

I am using Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 with Internet Security 2011. All of my software is up to date except for the virus scan's dat file it said that it is the 19th and when I check today. I should have gotten the 20th's dat file but it said everything was up to date when I manually checked for updates.

Okay, so the strange thing is that I haven't really used this computer for the past month. Only thing I do is update McAfee and I did Windows Update for it last week Thursday. When I finished the Full Scan it said that it scanned a total of 69,668 files compared to last month's result of 63,182. So not only did I wonder why there was such a dramatic increase in file as there is usually only a few hundred to a thousand increase every month. When I added the category of Files, Processes, Cookies, Registry Items, and Boot Records. The total is only 63756. It didn't add up to 69,668. While previous months I can add them up and it will equal to the total that McAfee scanned. But this time, I am confused at how adding up the files led me to a missing 5912.

The results of this scan from the McAfee screen was

Total: 69,668

Files: 56181

Cookies: 11

Processes: 51

Registry: 7512

Boot: 1

Last Month was:

Total: 63,182

Files: 55181

Cookies: 10

Processes: 50

Registry: 7498

So if anyone can explain the missing 5912 from the results I will appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Weird Scan Results
          theflyingmonkey

Oh here is a little more information. Usually, when I perform a Full Scan I have my task manager on. The one difference that I also noticed about this scan and my previous Full Scan is that the process lsass.exe should be using about 2000-3500 in the Mem Usage column. But this scan with the weird results was different. Omce the scan started the Mem Usage for lsass.exe shot up to around 37,000. It stayed at a constant Mem Usage through out the whole scan and for about another 15 minutes after the scan before it returned back to its normal usage. So if the Mem Usage was 37,912 as soon as the scan started, it stayed like that without moving. Nor did this process use any CPU.

• 2. Re: Weird Scan Results
            theflyingmonkey

Seriously, can't anyone explain these results. I gave all the information I can think of that shows the diffference from my normal scans to this current full scan.

• 3. Re: Weird Scan Results
              exbrit

I can't explain the results in detail as that would be up to an expert from McAfee, assuming they can release such information, but I do know from what they have told us that as time progresses they rewrite the code and scans are done differently whereby if the scanner detects something was already scanned it will skip it if there has been no change to it.  That's a new feature designed to speed up the process eventually.   That could explain the perceived discrepancy in numbers.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/12/11 7:50:43 EST AM
              • 4. Re: Weird Scan Results
                theflyingmonkey

I don't know about that.  My Anti-Virus Version is the same as it was last month and the files added up correctly.  It is this scan that doesn't make any sense, since my Anti-Virus version didn't update to the newer version until the 27th.

• 5. Re: Weird Scan Results
                  exbrit

I would ask Technical Support then as I really don't know the answer.   They are free to phone or use online chat, linked under Useful Links above.

• 6. Re: Weird Scan Results
                    theflyingmonkey

I would rather not contact tech support.  The last couple of times that I did that, I didn't get an answer and each tech gave me the same answer and asked me to tell they the problem.  I was supposely redirected 3 times to a higher level tech each time, but every single time it was "what is the problem and I would spend 5 minutes telling them every little detail to give them all the information they might need" and finally they all gave the same answer which was just not right and didn't make sense.

• 7. Re: Weird Scan Results
                      exbrit

OK, I'll flag this to see if I can get a tech to answer in this thread.  I can't guarantee it but will try.

• 8. Re: Weird Scan Results
                        theflyingmonkey

Alright thank you very much for the help. I will continue to monitor this topic and the situation until a tech answers in this thread. I appreicate the help.

• 9. Re: Weird Scan Results
                          theflyingmonkey

I just finished a scan with my Vista and XP.  As expected the number of files, processes, cookies, boot record, and registry items added up correctly to the total for Vista

My XP scan however was weird.

The total was 69578

Files: 56093

Cookies: 11

Processes: 50

Registry: 7512

If I add the numbers up I get 63667 and taking the difference from the total and actual amount.  I got a difference of 5911.  So, I still don't know where these 5000 files came from and what is even weirder is that the difference is only 1 less than the last full scan.  But in terms of the things scanned, this scan had 88 less files scanned and 1 less process.  Yet how did the difference from the total to actual for this scan come out to 5911, if there was actually 89 less things scanned as shown by the breakdown of the scan.

1 2 Previous Next