Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
901 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 16, 2011 12:23 AM by ajclements RSS
Arshad Apprentice 64 posts since
Nov 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 15, 2011 11:29 PM

Dictionary Scores and SpamProfiler %

Hi, I am using IronMail 6.7.2 as an AntiSpam Engine. I have a confusion regarding Dictionaries updation and scoring. I want to ask that wheather the scores of individual dictionaries are being changed automatically via automatic updates . I think yes. But if scores are being changed on regular basis , will it not effect the Spam intervention in our network. Also on daily basis how many new words are updated in dictionaries . If i stop updates then what is the drawback ? Also in the SpamProfiler I have locked the confidence value. Does this mean that the confidence value (%) which I have set will never be changed ? Is it also ok or not. Kindly recommend .....

• Apprentice 94 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 16, 2011 12:23 AM (in response to Arshad)
    Re: Dictionary Scores and SpamProfiler %

I want to ask that wheather the scores of individual dictionaries are being changed automatically via automatic updates. I think yes. But if scores are being changed on regular basis , will it not effect the Spam intervention in our network.

Yes, the confidence and threshold values can change with the anti-spam updates.  It will effect the spam effectiveness - that is the point.  As the spam team follows trends they adjust the scores to be most effective wihile causing as few false positives as possible.

Also on daily basis how many new words are updated in dictionaries . If i stop updates then what is the drawback ? Also in the SpamProfiler I have locked the confidence value. Does this mean that the confidence value (%) which I have set will never be changed ? Is it also ok or not.

No information is published on what is added / removed from the dictionaries (that I know of).  If you stop updates you will start to see spam effectiveness drop.  Most likely slowly at first, but over time you will see larger and large quantites of messages not being detected.  Locking any setting will prevent the automatic updates from changing it.  If this is truly what you want, then it is a perfectly acceptble course of action - but be aware support may suggest you change it if you call with false positives or false negatives.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points