Wondering if anyone's encountered this: Recently we reimaged (wiped and reinstalled a Windows image) a Dell Latitude E6420 ATG. It had Windows 7 before and worked fine, but ever since the reimage once Endpoint Encryption begins (well, a few minutes after it begins) you can't log in to Windows, or if you were logged in when it began you can't unlock the workstation later, and if you were logged in frequently Explorer.exe no longer responds (keyboard [CAPS lock] and mouse still work though). The HDD indicator above the keyboard is solid; even if I leave the computer on over the weekend I come back Monday the HDD's still solid activity and nothing is responsive.
I checked for updates on Dell's website for the E6420 ATG and incorporated the latest drivers into the image. Even tried Intel's latest Chipset (which was just the iaStor file). System's on the latest BIOS too (A08).
The on-board diagnostics (selectable at boot) ran and found no problems.
According to Device Manager in Safe Mode (which works fine) the system is using an Intel 6 Series / C200 Series chipset driver and the AHCI storage controller. The ATG also has a touch screen and a SSD (Lite-On LAT-128M2S 128 GB).
Deploy the same image, but without the Endpoint Encryption agent/client (so encryption never starts) and the system appears fine.
Deploy the same image without Dell's system drivers and now the unlock workstation doesn't completely hang for hours on end, it returns to CTRL + ALT + DEL after about a minute (as if the blank spot where the username/password fields would be are timing out due to inactivity). So, progress in some sense.
- [Edit] Addendum: As soon as I posted this the prompt for a password appeared, so I typed it and hit enter. Been three minutes now and it's just sitting at the background image with nothing else showing up (HDD LED still solid). If there are any changes I'll pass them on, but performance still sub-par as-is.
- [Edit 2] Follow-up: Again it timed out to C.A.D., so I tried again and the password box appeared with my password in it. Curious I clicked the 'go' arrow instead of pressing Enter on the keyboard and the system logged in. Explorer is responsive. Got a popup saying VSE wasn't enabled though. The Encryption status window I left open was right where I left it (around 8-10%) in the progress bar. Tried opening VSE to check it and closing/reopening the Encryption status window, but now the system's taking its time. I tried launching task manager to check it and resource monitor, but it's also still pending (HDD is still solid, but I saw it flicker off for half a second once).
- [Edit 3] After twenty minutes I finally got resource manager up, but it only shows processes for the CPU so I can't confirm what's locked the HDD activity up. Curious, though, is the graphs on the right work; the graph axis is from 0 to 1 KB/sec (a *bit* low I'd say) and the blue line is at the top 99% of the time with the other 1% a very quick dip down to 0 and then immediately back up to 1 KB/sec. By comparison the SSD in my E6520 starts at 1 KB/sec, but then jumps up to 10 MB/sec eventually. If the graph is right it looks like the drive has the throughput of a straw when what I need is a firehose. Now, another 10 minutes later, there are items under disk and a single column of Disk I/O (green) in the graph with a corresponding jump in network activity and CPU use. A minute later another column of Disk I/O (green), but no corresponding jump in network/CPU usage. -- Encryption Status window opened and the progress bar is still around 8% (just under the 'g' in Progress), still says "C: - Encrypting" and System State is "Active." -- We don't have another ATG to test with, but I may try putting a SSD from an E6520 into the E6420 ATG unit when one becomes available just to see if it helps.
To my knowledge this has not happened on any other system, including the standard Latitude E6420 (which is the model we're deploying to employees currently). We only have a handful of ATG units--still, I'd like to fix it instead of tell people we'll have to replace their machine (kind of need the semi-rugged/rugged model for some field workers).
If anyone's seen this issue, or something like it, I'd appreciate any information that may help identify why I can't log into Windows once the ATG is encrypted and why/how its pegging the HDD or causing the system to hang.
Message was edited by: pcktech on 12/13/11 7:38:10 AM CST, 12/13/11 7:55:11 AM CST
Message was edited by: pcktech on 12/13/11 8:37:55 AM CST