3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 7:45 AM by bakerrl

install patches via client autoupdate task - no epo server

jackg21

Is it possible to have my clients download and install patch 1 for 8.8 from my locally mirrored mcafee repository?  I have patch 1 on a network share and I install it manually when I am working on a computer but doing it this way will take awhile to deploy.  I noticed that there is a Get other updates (service packs, upgrades, etc) option in the AutoUpdate Task on each client.  What do I have to do so my clients can pull down patch 1 when they check for the next dat file update?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: install patches via client autoupdate task - no epo server
          bakerrl

I am pretty sure that is not possible.   McAfee does not put service packs, upgrades, etc on their ftp and http source repositories.  So your mirror task will not contain the VSE 8.8 Patch 1 update.  The catalog.z file that is on the repository contains a list of products that are on the repository and it is encrypted.

When you have an ePO server and check in a patch update or a product it modifies the catalog.z file to include the patch or product.

The get other updates (service packs, upgrades) outside of the engine and DAT will only work if you are pointing to an ePO Server and have checked in the applicable Patch.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: install patches via client autoupdate task - no epo server
            jackg21

I would have put the patch into the folder structure that the mirror task creates.  I am not sure if the mirror task would have removed the files when mirroring again.  I think you are right and that I would need a EPO server but I am not going to set one up.  I have tried twice over the years and they are just too much maintenance.  I wish it was simpler like a WSUS server.  Auto-sync daily and approve patches, done.  The whole download files, check files in, check file versions, it just isn't worth the effort.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: install patches via client autoupdate task - no epo server
              bakerrl

You just can't add the patch to your mirror repository.  It won't work that way as the catalog.z files needs modified.  The agent reads the catalog.z file to determine what products are in the repository.  The only way the catalog.z files gets modifed is by checking the patch into an ePO Server.  Which of course you do not have.