6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2008 3:00 AM by snow-munki

Outlook Scan add-in memory usage

Hi all,

I just realized today how much memory the McAfee Outlook Scan add-in uses up.

We have VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.5.0i, scan engine 5300.2777.

When running Outlook 2003 (no PST files) with the Outlook Scan add-in enabled, memory utilization (as per the task manager) is:

MEM USAGE:83, 812 k
      VM SIZE:75, 120 k
      PEAK MEM USAGE:140, 420 k

When running Outlook 2003 (no PST files) with the Outlook Scan add-in disabled, memory utilization (as per the task manager) is:

MEM USAGE:18, 428 k
      VM SIZE:9, 000 k
      PEAK MEM USAGE:18, 460 k

Is everyone else getting the same memory utilization? It seems extremely high to me.

Also, when the add-in is disabled, Outlook opens and closes much faster.
        • 1. RE: Outlook Scan add-in memory usage
          Yes, we're seeing the same thing although we're using both Outlook 2002 and 2003. Both have the same issue. On those machines with minimal amounts of RAM, it may take minutes for Outlook to open up. So in our case, because we have an extremely safe email server gateway, which removes everything "bad" that attempts to come in the system, we've disabled the Mcafee add-in for those computers which are affected the most.

It's not the perfect answer but we've found it necessary to make the computers, and Outlook, usable.

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: Outlook Scan add-in memory usage
            Hi,

newbi to this forum (hello all).

I have recently inherited a 4000 client network which is running epo 3.6 / Mcafee VS 8.5 p5

We have been have major issue recently (after upgrading VS from 7.1 to 8.5) with outlook plug-ins and the general speed of outlook on older hardware. after reading a number of forum entries we have come to the conclusion that the mcafee email scanning plugin is certainly not helping in our situation.

We have central email scanning running on our exchange servers so all emails are scanned before they get to the client machines. With this in mind we have dissabled the email scanning centrally in epo but the compnent is still installed (it is just not doing anything).

My main question is...

how do I remove the email scanning component centrally so that this replicates across the network. Unfortunalty I cannot visit al of our machines as we have 3 offices and around 400 mobile workers who dial in from home etc. so machine visits are not an option.

I do not really want to have to uninstall the VS software and then re-install as this could leave a number of machine at risk.

Is there a way of removing just 1 component from the VS software?

Any help or direction will be very much appreciated

Thanks

Andy
            • 3. RE: Outlook Scan add-in memory usage
              I'm not sure if this is the best way to go, but to simply prevent the add-in from loading you can delete this reg key (this is WinXP SP3 and Outlook 2003):

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions\Outlook Scan

The results are dramatic:
              - With the scan enabled Outlook takes about 4-6 seconds to start and immediately uses 98M of memory.
              - With it disabled it opens within 1 second and uses 32M of memory.

Ridiculous!
              • 4. RE: Outlook Scan add-in memory usage
                Thanks for the info.

Don't suppose you know if this can be achieved through group policy changes, so we can have this set centrally?
                • 5. RE: Outlook Scan add-in memory usage
                  I am not sure - dont use GP for this sort of thing...

Keep in mind deleting that reg key just prevents the Add-In from loading when Outlook starts - I'm sure there is other cleanup that may need to be done. But just for testing purposes (i.e. to see how much the add-in sucks), its easy enough to delete and re-add that key.
                  • 6. RE: Outlook Scan add-in memory usage
                    Hi,

Does anyone know if this has been fixed as it is seriously effect all of our users !!!