3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 4:49 AM by Timmah

Client disk encryption keeps restarting

Hi all,

I am currently evaluating EPO/EE for my organisation and I have stumbled across a rather baffling issue.

Note - this seems to be affecting roughly 20% of the rollouts I've attempted to far.

Basically, EE agent and PC install is rolled out by EPO.  Encryption starts and runs OK, but when a policy enforcement next occurs (either by the period mandated in the client policy or a manual enforcement), the encryption process starts again.  The progress bar goes from being half full (depending on disk size obviously) to empty, and the process starts again and loops.

I have a workaround which was to create a system group that only does a policy enforcement every 480 minutes rather that the organisation's standard of 30 minutes, but I am hoping to identify the root cause.

I have searched the forums/internet and found nobody that has suffered this same issue.  Does anybody have any pointers to help me troubleshoot?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Client disk encryption keeps restarting
          Timmah

Hi there,

I'm not sure if a KB article exists for this, but this is a little quirk in the product (for now).

When a policy enforcement kicks in, the work to be done on the disk is re-calculated, and the progress bar is set back to zero. However, no work is actually lost. Your machines are still encrypting, but the encryption is momentarily interrupted every time a policy is enforced.

Hope this helps,

Tim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Client disk encryption keeps restarting

Thankyou Tim.  That certainly makes sense.  I thought it was a problem as described in the opening post as disk encryption can be a very long process, so I didn't have any confidence that the encryption was actually ever going to complete.

Thinking about it now though, I very much doubt encryption can be undone in an instant, so it makes sense that it'd just carry on.

I gather it's likely this little quirk will be ironed out in a future patch/release?

• 3. Re: Client disk encryption keeps restarting
              Timmah

It's certainly being looked at, if it hasn't already been fixed for 6.2. I can't give you any promises/specifics though!

Cheers,

Tim