1 2 3 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2012 7:53 AM by Ex_Brit Go to original post RSS
      • 20. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
        Ex_Brit

Yes it's McAfee software but tailored by Dell.   Open another case with Tech Support and ask for escalation.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/12/11 1:36:48 EST PM
        • 21. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
          sam333

you're saying that mcagent.exe under processes is actually Dell software?

• 22. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
            k3tg

The only time I have ever seen this issue regarding the pop up add is for customers who have obtained the software from Dell. McAfee has partnered with AOL, Cox, Dell, MSN, Verizon and several others to sell and market their software. Dell is specifically mentioned in the pop up ad shown earlier in this thread and I would venture to say that McAfee did not put it in there.

In any event you should only have to deal with it one time as ExBrit mentioned

• 23. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
              Ex_Brit

Escalate a case with Tech Support then.

• 24. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
                sam333

There's no mention of Dell in my ads and when you click on the ad, as is to buy it, there's also no mention of Dell.

As for escalating a tech support ticket, this seems like contradictory advice.  If it's Dell, shouldn't I be putting in my tech support ticket with them? 

If it's McAfee tech support I already spent an hour with them on the phone.  They said it was fixed and it wasn't.  I didn't see how they are going to do anything different this time. 

• 25. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
                  newjack

I agree 100%.Also if itis Mcafee software.Would`nt they have any say as to the annoying pop ups which they have been guilty of too?

• 26. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
                    Ex_Brit

Not at all, but it looks like the ad was sponsored by Dell or put there by Dell, I don't know.  All I do know is that it has Dell written all over it as well as McAfee, so who to blame?

• 27. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
                      Ex_Brit

Sorry sam333 we are at cross purposes which always happens when several people get involved.  Have you tried uninstalling via Control Panel, running the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, rebooting and reinstalling from the online account?   You must always use a fresh download of MCPR as it is frequently updated.

• 28. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
                        dlorde

I'm getting these annoying pop-ups also, on my new Dell PC. I too have over 400 days on my subscription, but I'm getting pop-ups telling me I should consider renewing because my subscription is nearly finished!  Other pop-ups advertise other McAfee-related products & services. I haven't seen any Dell-related marketing, it's all McAfee.

Looks like McAfee made Dell a deal to supply free AV software if they could stuff it with marketing pop-ups. When my AV package displays a large pop-up, I expect it to be a serious security problem, not marketing - that's what the product is supposed to stop!

• 29. Re: How to get rid of annoying McAfee pop up ad
                          Ex_Brit

Unfortunately the marketing department don't listen to us and believe me, we have complained bitterly about this internally.

That said I haven't seen a popup in months, these popups seem to be more prevalent in some setups that come from 3rd party sources, ISP's, PC makers, 3rd party resellers such as Winferno etc.

I suggest writing to McAfee head office maybe the best idea & suggest that, in these days of increased spam & online dangers lurking at every corner, security software shouldn't be behaving like this.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact-us.aspx

That all said, I've used other brands to on my various machines and they've all had popup ads at some stage, with one notable exception, Microsoft's own Windows Defender and Security Essentials, which is more or less expected as they are regarded usually as part of one's system once installed.

Having mentioned Security Essentials, please note that you shouldn't ever run 2 antivirus applications together as it could leave you open to infection.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/06/12 8:53:21 EDT AM
                          1 2 3 Previous Next