1. goto the following site:
2. register (create a login)
3. put your product key which you received with the CD purchase.
4. Goto the 'MyAccount' page.
5. here you will see your registered product. Download the installer provided in the link there.
6. Save it to your desktop or wherever you prefer.
7. Uninstall the McAfee product existing on your PC which is causing the activation problem via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP).
8. Run MCPR tool from Useful Links at the top of this page to clean-up the registry.
9. reboot the PC.
10. start the installer which was downloaded earlier in step 5, 6.
11. this will further download the complete product installation (size depends upon your product)
12. Finish installation.
no need for further activation... you can check it.
It just dawned on me that you may not have purchased a CD. You could in that case use online chat which doesn't involve voice at all. See Technical Support in Useful Links at the top of this page.
They will help you. It involves running a tool prior to connection but don't worry about that.