3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 10:56 AM by pmcdonald

Issues creating a Sidewinder Disaster Recovery Backup to USB key

trevornm

I'm new to Sidewinder/MFE and I need to create a Disaster Recovery Backup on a USB key. I'm using a 4GB Kingston DataTraveler and when I try and creat the backup I get the following error message: -

Failed to create Disaster Recovery Backup: TSWSystemError: Backup to recovery failed: TUsbDrive instance has no attribute 'device'

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Trevor

• 1. Re: Issues creating a Sidewinder Disaster Recovery Backup to USB key
          PhilM

It's worth checking the documentation/knowledgebase because I have a recollection that there are only a certain number of keys supported by McAfee.

In fairness, I would expect the DataTraveller to be one of them, so it may have something to do with it's size. Ultimately you may need to raise a ticket with support to clarify this.

Things I would consider myself, if I were in you shoes would be to either try re-formatting the key before trying it again, or trying another key. As I understand it the DR backup shouldn't exceed 2Gb in size and I think you'll find all of the listed devices are 2Gb or smaller, so again my suspicion may fall back to the fact that you're trying to use a larger-than-needed device.

Sorry - scrub my mumblings about the size - your 4Gb drive should be fine, as far as capacity is concerned, but I have found the following in the manual:-

Selecting a USB drive

Your USB drive must meet the following requirements:

• Supported USB drive sizes are 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB. The USB drive must be large enough to

hold the configuration and patches. In general, a 1 GB USB drive should be sufficient for most

firewalls. Configurations with large home directories might require a larger size.

• Your USB drive must be formatted in MS-DOS.

• The firewall USB port must be enabled in the BIOS settings.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issues creating a Sidewinder Disaster Recovery Backup to USB key
            trevornm

Thanks Phil, I removed and reinserted the USB key and it recognised it and did the backup, very strange!

• 3. Re: Issues creating a Sidewinder Disaster Recovery Backup to USB key

I am also getting the same error. For years, we have been using a 1GB PNY drive without issue. Recently, we have started to receive this error. I know there is approximately 400 MB available on the thumb drive, and from what I understand, the new backup should overwrite the old one. Are there other causes for this error besides there not being enough space for the back up?

Thanks,

Pete