8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 1:44 PM by gita

How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?

I do not understand how my SaaS account applies to my HP Windows Home Server.  My HP WHS came with McAfee Total Protection Service installed as an Add-In.  I never registered it because I also started subscribing to McAfee SaaS shortly after I installed my HP WHS.   My HP WHS was consistently reminding me that the Total Proctection Service needed to be activated until I uninstalled it. Meanwhile, my SaaS account shows a subscription has been allocated to my HP WHS but there is no evidence on my HP WHS consol that there is any McAfee product installed. When I go to the McAfee SecurityCenter for my account, it shows a subscription allocated to my HP WHS but also says that the DAT date is very old and out of date which suggests to me that my HP WHS does not actually have any SaaS coverage.

Is my HP WHS protected by SaaS or not?

• 1. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?
          Peter M

Moved from Home and Home Office to Business > SaaS for better attention.

• 2. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?
            RaviShankar

Hi,

I understand that the McAfee in your home server is not updating and shows that your software if not activated.

Please follow the given instructions to get this issue fixed.

To install the Windows Home Server support add-in tool

1. Download the McAfee WHS Support Tool from:

www.mcafeeasap.com/downloads/whs/WHSMcAfeeSupportToolAddIn-7.msi

2. Copy the .MSI file to: \Shared folders\Software\Add-ins.

3. Install the tool from Settings, Add-ins, Available McAfee Support Tools.

4. Select the McAfee Support Tool and click Install.

5. You now see a second McAfee icon for support.

To uninstall and automatically place the correct ACER or HP .msi file

1. On the Support add-in page, click Uninstall.

2. When prompted, restart the Home Server and allow plenty of time for a full restart.

3. Log on again.

4. The McAfee support utility removes the product and places the new .msi file in the software folder    automatically.

5. Click Settings, Add-ins, and select Available from where the point product can be reinstalled.

6. When prompted, restart the Home Server.

NOTE:

Allow the point product enough time to update before expecting it to accurately report on the console. This should be 5-10 minutes after restart of the WHS, but can take longer depending of the size of the signature .DAT files.

To activate the SaaS Endpoint Protection after installation

After installing the product, the Buy Now or Purchase Now icon changes to an Activate Now icon. To activate the product, you must have your activation code. This can be found on the Security Center www.mcafeeasap.com.

1. Log on to the Security Center and click My Account, Account & Keys.

2. The Account Enrollment Key should be present. If not, click Create Account Enrollment Key.

3. On the  McAfee screen of the WHS console click the  Activate Now link.

4. During the initial screen, you will get the following prompt: "Join an existing account", Please click on "Yes".

5. You are then prompted for an enrollment key. Please follow the below steps to get the enrollment key.

(a) Open the www.mcafeeasap.com  and login with your email and password

(b) Click on the My Account tab, please do not hover your mouse pointer on the my accounts tab but click on it, on the top and on the page click on accounts and keys and generate a           key under the section "Enrollment Key". Type the Account Enrollment Key.

6. Wait for this to finish (making allowance for the speed of your internet connection).

7. If no current key is listed, click Create a new key and a new key is generated instantly.

8. The point product will update and download the latest DAT signatures.

9. Wait for this to finish (making allowance for the speed of your internet connection).

Please let me know, if you have any queries and I will be assisting you further.

Regards,

Ravi Shankar. R

• 3. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?

Ravi,

I am stuck ar the following step you identified......

To uninstall and automatically place the correct ACER or HP .msi file

1. On the Support add-in page, click Uninstall.

As you noted, I show 2 McAfee products after I installed the support tool.  Both are available for Uninstall.  Which one do I Uninstall?

Thanks for your assistance.

PaulD

• 4. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?
                RaviShankar

Hi PaulD,

1. On the home server console, you will have two McAfee icons.

2. McAfee support and McAfee Total protection service.

3. Select the McAfee support.

4. On the right side --> You will have the option to uninstall.

5. Please uninstall the addins.

6. You will be prompted for reboot.

7. Please click on ok.

8. After the reboot completes, it will have the latest add-in file downloaded already on the available tab.

10. Please select the latest add-in file and install it.

11. Then proceed with the activation steps which I have provided in the previous thread.

Please let me know, if you have any queries and I will be assisting you further.

Regards,

Ravi Shankar. R

• 5. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?

Still not working.  When I select the Support Icon, I get a single button (Open Support Settings).  That leads to the Setting Menu where I have 4 menu options.  One is Uninstall (for Total Protection Service).  When I select that uninstall button, I get the message Could not uninstall Total Protection Service: Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist.

Note...the other 3 options on the Settings menu are Copy Logs (for Log Files), Launch (McAfee MER Client) and Install (for Console Fix for ToPS 5.0).

• 6. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?
                    RaviShankar

Hi Pauld,

I have sent you a private message. Please do reply for the message to work further on this issue.

Regards,

Ravi Shankar. R

• 7. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?

The final solution to this issue involved a help desk person from McAfee manually purging old McAfee products from my WHS and installing the correct files...all via remote access to my system.  It was a lengthy process involving many server restarts as files were deleted and reloaded.  It appeared that he was following a series of steps very similar to those posted above but also involved some deep technical knowledge of the old/new McAfee files that needed to be removed or uninstalled and replaced with new files.  I suspect my old McAfee files got corupted in some manner and that is why the step 1, 2 3 posted earlier did not work.  In the end, I was very pleased with the results.

• 8. Re: How does SaaS apply to a HP Windows Home Server?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for updating us the status of  this issue and also it is good to know that your issue with McAfee is resolved and everything working fine. Please let us know in future if you have any issues with McAfee .

Have a wonderfull Week end.

Regards

Geetha P