Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
7243 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2011 6:52 PM by Hayton RSS
rynothedino Newcomer 2 posts since
Dec 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 2, 2011 5:28 PM

Navigation to the webpage was canceled

Ok after i got the "fake windows security" malware/virus i got it removed after a few hours and it ended up disabling my firewall and stuff, now I was having a company (iyogi) helping me with all my issues (i think they are fake!!!) After i paid them $169.99 they were working with me for 5 hours or more after they removed the malware they tried fixxing mcafee and they did some stuff which I dont know and it ended up getting me a message that says "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" i have reinstalled it a few times and googled it and i cant find anything can someone PLEASE help!!!

• tromine Community Leader 206 posts since
    Aug 14, 2006
    1. Dec 2, 2011 5:42 PM (in response to rynothedino)
    Re: Navigation to the webpage was canceled

So sorry to hear that you 1) are having trouble and 2) contacted iYogi.  They are known to us, but not affiliated with McAfee...and unfortunately we have heard from lots of people who have had a similar experience.  It sounds to me like iYogi failed to remove the virus, as malware often redirects any attempt at hitting pages of companies like McAfee.  If you feel like retrying the process again with iYogi, go for it.  If they cannot fix it, push hard for a refund.  Then visit the official McAfee Services page at https://techmaster.mcafee.com.  We'll get you cleaned up for less money:  Satisfaction guaranteed.

Tracy Romine
    McAfee Consumer Support Product Manager
    http://community.mcafee.com/community/home/consumer_support_feedback

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,584 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    3. Dec 2, 2011 6:28 PM (in response to rynothedino)

I suggest you run a DDS scan and post the log on the forum below for expert advice along with the symptoms.   It';s the weekend so there ownt be very many McAfee people looking in here.

Download DDS: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/dds

Post the log here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

I have a feeling that the fake antimalware isn't cleaned up.

How did you pay iYogi, Paypal, Credit Card or what?  I sincerely hope you can get your money back because that price, even for a year, is exorbitant especially when you consider they left you in the lurch, so to speak.   

Also especially considering there are loads of free tools out there and people available to help you use them.

Once it's clean then uninstall McAfee in the normal manner via Control Panel > Programs, run the MCPR cleanup tool to cleanup remnants, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall your software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 7:28:39 EST PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,600 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    4. Dec 2, 2011 6:52 PM (in response to rynothedino)

iyogi are a legitimate operation, but there are many people who say they're not worth the money they charge (although a lot of others seem to be happy with the service they provide). There's a review by PC Magazine at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325453,00.asp which is worth reading.

In your case they seem not to have done a good job. In particular, they should not have messed with your McAfee installation. Tracy Romine is right, you may need McAfee tech support to help you sort all this out.

However, there are are one or two things you can do before that. First, the "fake windows security" you got : what was the name of it? Let's make sure the remnants of that infestation are all cleared away before starting anything else. You may have to disable System Restore as a first step (but if you do, remember to turn it back on when everything's sorted out).

Run a scan of your system with the McAfee Fake Alert Stinger (download from here) and see if it finds anything; afterwards, run the free version of Malwarebytes just to be sure.

Then, your McAfee product is all messed up. It would probably be best to uninstall it, run the MCPR tool to clear up the files and registry, and reinstall it from scratch. Then run MVT again to make sure it's all in place and working as it should.

The "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" message is well known and may be caused by your IE security zone settings. However, if you get the message when no web page is open it sounds like a message from malware - there's a discussion on Microsoft about all this here. So get the latest McAfee updates (and Microsoft updates, Adobe updates, Java updates - just check all your main software is updated) and then run a full scan. Quick Scan might be enough but in a case like this a full scan might be better.  If it's a browser issue, try resetting your browser to its original settings (Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced tab-->Restore Internet Explorer settings).

Message was edited by: Hayton (typo) on 03/12/11 00:52:54 GMT

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points