7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 8:09 AM by andrep1

ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project

andrep1

Is there a recomended way to convert ipv4 stored as ipv6 addresses? ipcalc.py doesn't like the "ffff"padded format. 

If not I can try to modify that module to convert this format.

• 1. Re: ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project
          jking

You might try using the EPOComputerProperties.IPV4x column, which we should be populating if it was an IPv4 address.  If all your computers are ipv4, or you only run your tool if that column is populated, that should work.

Actually it looks like we're persisting the ipv6 addresses the correct way:

select IPv6 from EPOComputerProperties where ComputerName not like 'DEMO%'

IPv6

0x00000000000000000000FFFF0AD33703

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#IPv4-mapped_IPv6_addresses

You might need to do some playing with the last 8 characters to convert it to an ipv4 dotted quad if that's what the library you're using expects.

Jon

Message was edited by: jking on 11/30/11 4:00:57 PM CST
          • 2. Re: ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project
            andrep1

I wasn't questionning the way the address is stored, just wondering how you were doing that conversion internally. The fault looks to be in the library as there are two ways to store IPv4 in IPv6 format and the author choose to only support the othwer way without the 16 bits of 1

• 3. Re: ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project
              Tristan

A bit off topic but can i ask why you need the IP address and subnet.

All of the WOL tools i've used have only worked on MAC addresses to send the magic packets.

Also i suppose it depends our your network environment but in ours we run DHCP so as computers shutdown/startup their IPs are always changing. What my ePO DB stores is not a true representation of my network IP usage until the clients startup and report.

• 4. Re: ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project
                andrep1

what I'm extracting is the subnet address, mask and mac. You can use command line wake up tools to send that broadcast out to the IP broadcast address.

We also use DHCP in our environment, but it doesn't really matter as the wake up goes to the make. ePO is a real easy way to find out the mac of a device...

So the plan is to extract the info from epo, transform it a bit and pass it to a command line tool to wake up the devices.

Now if I could run an external command from ePO it would be great...

As a side note, mcafee has a new tool to wake up devices but it requires a pretty solid infrastructure and Intel vPro processors.

• 5. Re: ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project
                  Tristan

Cool.

Annoying our WAN provider strips out magic packets from the IP traffic and we don't have access to the routers to change it.

Instead i have a batch file that i pass the remote branch and the machine name and it uses PSEXEC from sysinternals to run the WOL command on a predefined remote machine at the required site.

Luckily i have a hardware asset database that i can easily extract device names and mac addresses from.

• 6. Re: ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project
                    jking

Andre,

When you say "Now if I could run an external command from ePO it would be great...", have you looked at the registered executable functionality??  If there's a specific something you think we should do to expand on that, I'd appreciate it if you'd file an idea in the ideas forum (https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/ideas).

Thanks,

Jon

• 7. Re: ipv4 stored as ipv6, wake on lan project
                      andrep1

If we had the ability to run, on demand,  a local and/or remoteexecutable to one or more system, it would open a whole new world of possibilities.

Message was edited by: andrep1 on 05/12/11 8:09:09 CST AM