1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 3:39 AM by Jim Michaels

periodically yanking away the window focus for 5 seconds

Jim Michaels

I will be typing away (I do a LOT of that), and not looking at the screen, and I will look up at the screen to check what I am typing because my typing usually needs improvement, and I will see that MY CURSOR IS GONE and for the last while, what I have been typing has gone into oblivion because the keyboard focus has been yanked away until I click back in my application (not even when whatever it is puts the cursor back do I get my keyboard).  so the what microsoft calls the focus gets totally lost.

it partially comes back (usually) in 5 seconds.  it does this every once in a while, like once an hour - I haven't timed it.  it's annoying as all get out and ruins my workflow.

I think it is mcafee doing this.  it could be Symantec Ghost or FSS Casper maybe which I installed for upgrading hard drives, but I think it's mcafee.

my only workaround is to grab the mouse and click back in my application where I want my cursor and be frustrated at whatever is doing this to me.

If anyone has a fix for this problem and somebody finds out that it IS mcafee that is doing this, I would appreciate it.

Is anyone else having this problem?  do you have any of these commercial apps apps do you have installed or something else?

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 2/3/12 2:10:38 AM PST
        • 1. Re: periodically yanking away the window focus for 5 seconds
          Jim Michaels

I looked at teh event log and 2 things seem to be happening.  one is microsoft update.  the other is mfehidk.  here is something from eventvwr in system.

Event Type:    Warning

Event Source:    mfehidk

Event Category:    (256)

Event ID:    516

Date:        2/15/2012

Time:        5:03:57 PM

User:        N/A

Computer:    JIM-13L5NOM9I4U

Description:

Process **\SVCHOST.EXE pid (1668) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 58 00   ......X.

0008: 00 01 00 00 04 02 00 81   .......

0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

here is somthing from application in evenvwr that happens every hour:

Event Type:    Information

Event Source:    crypt32

Event Category:    None

Event ID:    7

Date:        2/12/2012

Time:        10:47:20 PM

User:        N/A

Computer:    JIM-13L5NOM9I4U

Description:

Successful auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/au throotseq.txt>

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

anything related to microsoft updates or mcafee's mfehidk.sys driver seem to yank the focus away.

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 3/30/12 1:38:16 AM PDT

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 3/30/12 1:39:01 AM PDT